Double Pitching Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
Guys--do you see any problems with double pitching a 5 gal brew with say, Wyeast 3069 and then later, when the SG is about half way to my intended level, pitching again with say, Montrachet? My thought is to increase the overall ABV yet not introduce too much dryness.

As I've said before, I'm new to this particular game, and may have read too much for my own good. In any event, I suppose I'm just dumb enough to say what I'm thinking no matter how stupid it might really be.

Blue :tank:

It doesn't really work that way.

When you add your Montrichet, it will dry it out completely. Dry is a word that indicates that all of the sugar has fermented out of the must. If you want sweet, stabilize and back sweeten or use Splenda.
I would recommend making some original recipe and let it age for about 4 months (From the day you make it) before you make any decisions about needing to sweeten it. The character really does change between bottling and 2 or 3 months.

Good point...and good information. I think you are saying that double pitching does not add to the ABV unless more sugars are available and not used by the first pitch...am I right?

Blue

If you want additional alcohol content from what you first added, you have to add more fermentables, adding more yeast really does nothing. I suppose you could start with the monarchet, ferment it a ways, then kill the yeast (campden?) and then add another type of yeast? I really have no clue how that would turn out (probably not great) but you would have to check with someone more knowledgeable on the subject.

Yea, I also have read WAAAYYY too much for my own good, think about an hour a day for the past 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back