First Year Hop Growth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raceskier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my rhizomes from NB. (Actually Freshops as others have mentioned) There's lots of good info here on soil, watering and trellis configuration. I'm going to plant in 5 gallon buckets, as I plan to move soon. NB's info says not to expect much in growth or flowers the first year as the roots are still being established then. What I can't find is how much (vertical) growth to expect the first year. I'm trying to figure out if I really need to provide 15 to 20 feet of vertical trellis, or can I get away with less?

Growth may be very vigorous. If the height is not provided the plants tend to become bushy. Flower production may be rather limited.

Keep in mind too that most commercial growers still only use a 12 to 14 foot trellis system as most of the equipment is preconfigured for this kind of yard and the material are readily available for the trellising systems. Just because the plant "can" grow up 30 foot doesn't mean it has to.

I have read in a few places though that if the plant isn;t allowed to gorw more than 10 foot (vert or horiz) that it can cause it to dwarf, thus lowering yields.

Correction: most commercial growers use 20-25 ft support systems. Cascades at a local farm.

2113-img_0985.jpg

Latest posts

Back