'Plastic' taste in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timl84

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I barreled my IPA into a plastic pressure barrel (made by Young's), and left it for 3 weeks, and tried the first glass of it yesterday. It had a taste of "plastic" to it, which is similar to how the barrel smells. It is a purpose built barrel, so I know its made from the right plastic, as I have read some people suggest it is made from non food grade plastic, however I wondered whether this taste did come from the barrel or from another factor?

Some suggestions I have heard are:
Chlorine in the water - although a friend said he has had the same happen before and it didn't have this taste from the bottled beer of the same batch
The sugar used - I used standard caster sugar for priming
Not been left long enough for priming

My other question is, campden tablets are confusing me! I have read too much information it seems as different things I read now start contradicting each other. Can I add campden tablets into the brew now it has been in secondary fermentation for 3 weeks in an attempt to remove this apparant chlorine taste, or if chlorine is the case, has it already done the damage?

Thanks!

Wow! No clue I'm afraid. I know that some who use plastic recommend filling it with hot water and emptying it until the plastic smell is gone. Hope you figure it out.

I seriouly doubt it's chlorine. Boiling will disipate the chlorine. If the plastic barrel stinks of plasticine odor that's not a good sign . Does the plactic have any kind of marking on it such as a recycle symbol with a number inside or next to it or letters?
Did you use any other type of plastic hose especially with hot liquid?

I'm in work at the moment so can't check for markings on the barrel, however I will as soon as I get in.

I did use a syphon tube to transfer from the (plastic) fermenter into the barrel. The syphon is from Young's also, as this is the easiest equipment for me to pick up (wilkinsons for any fellow uk brewers).

Thanks

instructions that I had gotten when I was making RootBeer with teh kids directed me to soak the bottles in a solution of the Straight A Cleanser overnight to get rid of any plastic taste that the bottles may impart into the liquid. I'm thinking that the same thing may be what you need to do.

I had another glass of the beer today, and it didn't seem to have the taste as strong as I remember it Maybe it needs more time in secondary fermenting

mike, I have a cider that will be ready to go into a barrel mid next week hopefuly, so I am soaking that one in water as of tonight, and will change it at the weekend to see if that helps with the smell before I put the cider in.

Hey guys,

I barreled my IPA into a plastic pressure barrel (made by Young's), and left it for 3 weeks, and tried the first glass of it yesterday. It had a taste of "plastic" to it, which is similar to how the barrel smells. It is a purpose built barrel, so I know its made from the right plastic, as I have read some people suggest it is made from non food grade plastic, however I wondered whether this taste did come from the barrel or from another factor?

Some suggestions I have heard are:
Chlorine in the water - although a friend said he has had the same happen before and it didn't have this taste from the bottled beer of the same batch
The sugar used - I used standard caster sugar for priming
Not been left long enough for priming

My other question is, campden tablets are confusing me! I have read too much information it seems as different things I read now start contradicting each other. Can I add campden tablets into the brew now it has been in secondary fermentation for 3 weeks in an attempt to remove this apparant chlorine taste, or if chlorine is the case, has it already done the damage?

Thanks!

Kind of late to hit on a topic now,but anyway.
I brewed stout,fermentor used was in use before to brew 6 batches with no smell of plastic(styrofoamish smell kind of).
Yeast used s-04,.So my guess its cuz of chlorine,maybe steriliser traces .

Latest posts

Back