Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mississippi's homebrew will made it out of House committee today. Next step House floor vote.

Our bill has previously passed in the MS Senate.

Mississippi's homebrew will made it out of House committee today. Next step House floor vote.

Our bill has previously passed in the MS Senate.

If it passes the house vote will it go straight to the govenor to be signed? Any idea on time line? As a proud " want to brew Mississipian " just curious.

Accidic said:
I wouldn't have considered it a hijack. We're neighbors suffering the same prohibition. I'd like to see the outdated restrictions lifted in both places in any event.

Thanks. Good luck to you guys.

Well, fudge that we're so far down... but at least we are on the list. Maybe we'll find the floor on Friday?

The bills are on the SOC for tomorrow. They are quite a ways down the list. I would not be surprised if they didn't get to them...

http://alisondb.legislature.state.a...OfDay/H-Calendar-9.pdf?Label=H-Calendar-9.pdf

http://alisondb.legislature.state.a...OfDay/S-Calendar-9.pdf?Label=S-Calendar-9.pdf

Those two are actually the "Regular Calendar" not the "Special Order Calendar" that they follow. From what I am told, the Regular Calendar contains everything that has come out of Committee Favorably. They take the "Regular Calendar" and pick and choose what they want to make the "Special Order Calendar".

So, yeah, confusing. I didn't know the "Regular Calendar" existed until today, I had always wondered why the other one was "Special."

But yeah, we may see the House floor tomorrow.

This is the SOC for tomorrow (I stopped copying at HB9) I'm not sure if there is anything that will hold things up, but being #12 on the list has me cautiously optimistic that they may get to it tomorrow.

ALABAMA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Proposed Special Order Calendar

(THIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL NOTICE)

---

PROPOSED BY THE RULES COMMITTEE
FOR THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2013
THE 9th LEGISLATIVE DAY

HR ______ SPECIAL ORDER CALENDAR BY: HOUSE RULES COMMITTEE

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE LEGISLATURE OF ALABAMA, That immediately upon the adoption of this resolution, the following business, in the order set forth below, shall be the special and paramount order of business for the 9th legislative day taking precedence over the regular order of business or any pending or unfinished business.

Representative Ball:
HB164
Economic Development, tax increment district, Major 21st Century Manufacturing Zone authorized in municipalities, development of distressed areas, tax credit required, Secs. 11-99-1, 11-99-2, 11-99-4, 11-99-5, 11-99-6, 11-99-8 am'd.

Senator Marsh-Representative Johnson, K:
SB108
Public Safety, Secretary of Public Safety created; Public Safety Fund created, certain investigative and law enforcement function of various state entities consolidated, Department of Public Safety reorganized, Homeland Security Department eliminated, uniform changes by Code Commissioner required, Secs. 41-9-592, 41-9-593 am'd.

Senator Williams-Representative Ball:
SB117
State Government, Secretary of Information Technology created, Legislative Oversight Committee on Information Technology established, power and duties, membership exempt from Sunset, Secs. 16-61D-1 to 16-61D-6, inclusive, repealed; Sec. 41-4-221 am'd.

Representative Boothe:
HB289
Agriculture, irrigation equipment, income tax credit for
installation, qualified reservoir for purpose of withdrawals further defined, carry forward and pass through further provided for, Sec. 40-18-342 am'd.

Representative Greeson:
HB54
Co. jails, pharmacies, prescription drugs, redispensing under certain conditions in same manner as pharmacies in state correctional facilities, Sec. 14-1-19 am'd.

Representative Love:
HB111
Transportation Department, director authorized to appoint assistant counsel subject to State Merit System, Sec. 23-1-26 am'd.

Representative Beckman:
HB14
Prisoners, escaped inmates, notification of state and local agencies and news media, liability limited, Joel Willmore Act, Sec. 14-3-58 am'd.

Senator Figures-Representative Boyd:
SB18
Motorcycles, distinctive license plate for breast cancer research under certain conditions, annual fee, distrib., Breast Cancer Research Foundation provide design

Representative Williams (J):
HB40
Tax credit, investment in Alabama entrepreneurial business

Representative Tuggle:
HB144
Housing Authorities, bonds, interest on bonds to be paid according to terms of resolution or its trust indenture or mortgage, bonds sold as determined by authority, 10 days notice required for public sale, Sec. 24-1-32 am'd.

Representative Moore (B):
HB257
Business license tax, rental of residential real estate tax, not to be on a per unit basis, const. amend.

Representative McCutcheon:
HB9
Beer, cider, and wine, homebrewing in limited amounts by adult persons for personal use authorized without taxation or licensure, penalties, convicted felon prohibited from homebrewing

It will be a miracle if we get a vote today. The house can be a study in inefficiency. If our bill isn't in the first 3-4 they can stall all day just to keep from getting to HB9.

Does the streaming feature on the Alabama State Legislature site work? I pulled the site up when I got to work and the time that they state is the current time hasn't changed since I pulled it up. I've tried refreshing and closing and re-opening the page several times with no luck. I was really hoping to listen to the debate today if they get to HB9.

EDIT - crap...the time just updated, they are in session and I'm getting nothing. I guess work is preventing the streaming. Bummer.

Thanks for the link. I guess my work computer security is keeping me from observing our legislative process. Oh well...probably not missing much now anyway.

Which one is SB9? I didn't see it on your earlier list.

I think he meant SB108. They've been speaking about it contentiously for at least an hour. Either it will be withdrawn [edit: "carried over" is the proper term - sounds like they're discussing this option now] to sort some issues out behind the scenes, or it will be debated for a few hours more at least.

2 hrs 15 minutes "work" and then an hour and and a half lunch.

*sigh*

They are on the second bill on the SOC

Interesting turn on the bill they are debating. The guy that is opposing SB109 said the he was going to take all of his ten minutes on each amendment in the bill. Rep Ball rewrote all of the amendments into a single amendment and presented it. It will limit the debate.

Interesting turn on the bill they are debating. The guy that is opposing SB109 said the he was going to take all of his ten minutes on each amendment in the bill. Rep Ball rewrote all of the amendments into a single amendment and presented it. It will limit the debate.

This is the exact thing I'm talking about. Good on Ball, but the other guy needs to be horse whipped.

"I can't have my way so I'm going to act like a petulant child in the hopes that I make you all miserable enough to give me my way."

I find that behavior to be gratingly offensive.

I think the concern on this bill is that there is the possibility of cronyism in the appointment of the Secretary of Public Safety that this bill calls for. It seems to be pretty strongly opposed by the Black Caucus

In light of this state's history, it is probably a legitimate concern.

Oh boy. Here come Alvin Holmes.

"Law Enforcement in Alabama is working pretty good now, isn't it"

Shades of "What's wrong with the beer we got now"

[chairman]: I never have any idea what Mr. Holmes is going to do, Mr. Knight, and I don't think you do, either.

----------

Sometimes this $#!+ is pretty damn funny.

[chairman]: I never have any idea what Mr. Holmes is going to do, Mr. Knight, and I don't think you do, either.

----------

Sometimes this $#!+ is pretty damn funny.

Yep. Alvin Holmes comes off like a buffoon, but I think at times he is pretty shrewd

Back