Why boil wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adworld

Reaction score
so the only reasons one boils wort is for addition of hops and to sanitize the wort? does the boil change the flavor profile of the wort at all, meaning if I were to boil the wort for 60mins and not add hops would I end up w a differ flavor profile wort or just a sanitized version of what I started with?

I know sounds like an odd question but one I have wondered for a while

Boiling is primarily to isomerize the hop acids so they are soluable in water....it takes time which is why the extract boiling time is 60 minutes. The boiling doesn't do much for the wort in general except sanitize it...there are "no boil" recipes that use hopped malt extract.

yes, water evaporates leaving a sweeter wort than you started with. Also kettle caramelization occurs.

Those 1 hour plus boils are for all the hop additions mainly. Over & above AG,PM,or steeping grains where you get the fermentables out of the grains,then boil to get through the foamy hot break,then your aditions for bittering,flavor,& aroma in that order.
With extracts,it's about the same,but only adding 1.5-2lbs of extract for hop additions,then remaining extract art the end of a partial boil will give lighter color,cleaner flavor,& good utilization of the hop oils for when you top off to total volume.

Lots of stuff going on during the boil - with varying effects on the final product. Hop isomerization, sanitation, protein-related stuff, etc.

Good Read

thank you all for the answers. I was curious and figured you guys are the best to ask.

thanks everyone

It also flashes off chemicals contained within the grain that can contribute to off flavors in Beer; It why very light grains (Pilsen) need to be boiled a bit longer than darker roasted Base Grains (2-row/Pale)

wondering this same question. I wanted to try a hopless beer. just some adjuncts like orange peel and coriander, I thought to my self "why boil for more than 15-30 minutes"

I'll probally do a 60- 90 boil on this batch, but might try a gallon batch in the future and just do a 15 minute boil.

Because it's more fun to stand around a boiling cauldron for 60 minutes drinking beer than it is for 15 minutes. :)

That's the only logical explanation I could come up with. :D

Gary

wondering this same question. I wanted to try a hopless beer. just some adjuncts like orange peel and coriander, I thought to my self "why boil for more than 15-30 minutes"

I'll probally do a 60- 90 boil on this batch, but might try a gallon batch in the future and just do a 15 minute boil.

If you're using malt extract (which has already been processed), I can't think of any reason to boil the wort.

If you're using grain, which is covered with lactobacillus, needs to boil to have the DMS precursors boiled off, volume needs to be reduced, etc, that's a different story of course.

Back