Little advice on Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apk

Reaction score
I decided to make the Deception Cream Stout from the recipe bank. This is my 6th brew. Here's the background:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/deception-cream-stout-141483/index36.html#post2623161

OG was a bit higher than expected, but I rolled with it. I used the Denny's Favorite 50 yeast and let it sit for 4 weeks in primary. Ambient temperatures in my basement were right around 60-62, which is on the lower end of the yeast's temperature range.

I had planned to bottle the previous weekend (3/5), but when I checked the gravity, it was still at 1.030. That sounded way too high. Instead of bottling, I transferred it to a carboy, and moved it to a closet on the main floor...hoping the warmer temperatures would help it along a bit. I checked it again this past weekend and the gravity was at 1.028. It moved a bit, but I'm not sure what to expect for an FG. The OP says it should get down to 1.020, but that's also for a beer that started at 1.058.

So, the beer has been fermenting for 5 weeks at this point. I'm a little bit afraid to bottle until I know it's done. I don't think the fermentation is stuck, but I also don't want to get into a situation where I bottle, then the yeast decides to kick up again.

Is patience my key here? Anything else I can do to figure out if the fermentation has finished out completely or if it's just teasing me?

Thanks in advance.

Well, racking off the yeast cake wasn't a good idea when the fermentation was stuck. There are still yeast in your beer just not as much as need be. What is the temperature? I would swirl the carboy (or bucket) a few times a day (when you get up, after work and before bed) to get your yeast back into suspension and hopefully eating again.

Thanks for the reply. I've given the beer a few good swirls, and we'll see if the fermentation picks up again.

I'll do a little more research on stuck fermentations. I've heard it's fairly rare, so I was looking for other explanations first.

Thanks again.

Well, maybe stuck wasn't the right word. I am not familiar with that yeast but I imagine that 60-62 is too cold and it was working very slowly.

I would give it a week of swirling a few times a day and see what the gravity is then.

Backup plan is to rack it on top of the yeast cake for my Kolsch that's moving to the fridge this weekend. It seems to have loved the cooler temperatures. I'll keep you posted.

Quick update...racked the stout on top of a Kolsch yeast cake and the fermentation kicked up almost immediately. I tested it after 3 days, and it had gone down 4 points to 1.024. Given that I started with a slightly higher OG, I feel like it's a lot closer.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Back