Cold Crash / Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Literhoser

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the correct section, but here goes. I am going to cold crash my beer, and add gelatin. However, I don't have a fridge available to cool the beer. I have a fairly cold basement, and am wondering what temperature the beer must be in order to properly cold crash, and get effective gelatin clarification. Any insight on this would be appreciated!!

Given enough time, leaving your beer at 50F will drop out the yeast and give you a clear beer. But it really isn't cold crashing, which I consider to be under 40F. I've never needed Gelatin as the cold crashing and time do the work for me, so I can't answer the temp for Gelatin part.

Whats your outside temps?

Gelatin will clear your beer at room temperature. I've watched mine clear over a period of time. As I remember it, the clearing took 2 or 3 days and I could see the clear beer above the cloudy.

Given enough time, leaving your beer at 50F will drop out the yeast and give you a clear beer. But it really isn't cold crashing, which I consider to be under 40F. I've never needed Gelatin as the cold crashing and time do the work for me, so I can't answer the temp for Gelatin part.

Whats your outside temps?

outside temps are in the -3 to -5 Celsius range...

Sure, you can add gelatin at 50 degrees and itll clear your beer. But youll still have a haze when you chill the beer. the idea of chilling the beer with the gelatin is that the proteins coagulate when the beer is cold, then the gelatin drops it to the bottom. but if the beer isnt cold, the beer will appear clear.

Back