oxyclean crystals stuck to glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ethangray19

Reaction score
So after my last brew i put in some oxyclean and filled up my 6.5 gallon glass carboy with room temp water. I then left it for a few weeks in my garage. I dumped out the water and used my carboy brush to try and get the crystals/chunks of oxyclean that have stuck to parts of the inside of the carboy. They would not come off.

I then filled the thing with hot water from my sink and shook the crap out of it. Still they are stuck.

Now what?Is my carboy ruined? Any ideas??

Thanks

I've had that happen before too. Now, I never let the solution sit for more than 24 hours. I would try to fill it back up with hot water and let it sit overnight...then dump it. I may even try to fill it with a really hot StarSan solution hoping the acid might help dissolve the tiny particles.

An acid rinse should clear that up. A StarSan solution or two cups of regular white vinegar will do. Let soak overnight. Rinse, repeat if necessary.

Back