AG vs Extract Ferments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Strictly ale speaking, but I have found when going all grain the length of fermentation is even more important when going AG. I have had primary ferments in each for APAs of 1 week and while an extract has tasted it's usual self with a 1 week ferment, an all grain needs more time with the yeast.

Not really....type of brewing methodology really has little to do with how long a yeast needs to do it's job, or how long you decide that yeast should stay in contact with the wort.

Wort is wort regardless of whether you made it or dilluted it with water. It still has a starting gravity, and srm, an IBU....if you make the same recipe as allgrain or recaluculate it to be extract with grain, it should be EXACTLY the same if you've done it right...same color, bitternesss, and gravity, all the same numbers at the end of the boil....

It's just going to be a bunch of "sugar water" waiting for the yeast to eat it..THEY don't know from AG or Extract, they just know that they have a bunch of fermentables to chew through.....AND it takes them EXACTLY the time it needs to....Timneframes on them are OUR deal not there's, all they know is eat sugar pee alcohol and fart co2.....it really doesn't matter for the source of it.

I leave all my beers in primary for a month regardless of whether they are ag or extract.

Back