HELP! forgot to add bitter orange peel to Begian white

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlytimes

Reaction score
I can't believe I did this. It was an otherwise flawless brewing experience tonight - hit my targeted gravity on the dot for the first time - until I got to cleaning up and noticed that my bitter orange peel got hidden under some papers and I forgot to add it. Everything is in the fermenter now. I'm thinking of boiling about 2 cups of water and adding that to it for about 15 minutes, then adding it to the fermenter. will this work?!

Man, I have read dozens of "forgot to" threads. You are going to probably get a 50/50 ratio on your responses. All of those threads that I have read, to the best of my recollection, ended up with the OP doing exactly what was in his "should I..." question. You'll end up with a good beer if you don't. If you do add it you will probably end up with a good beer and at the very least a good learning experience.

Good Luck!!!

:tank:

Man, I have read dozens of "forgot to" threads. You are going to probably get a 50/50 ratio on your responses. All of those threads that I have read, to the best of my recollection, ended up with the OP doing exactly what was in his "should I..." question. You'll end up with a good beer if you don't. If you do add it you will probably end up with a good beer and at the very least a good learning experience.

Good Luck!!!

:tank:

I know what you're saying - I've read a bunch of them too, and each time I think, "how could you possibly forget to add that?" Well, now I know.:eek:

I can't believe I did this. It was an otherwise flawless brewing experience tonight - hit my targeted gravity on the dot for the first time - until I got to cleaning up and noticed that my bitter orange peel got hidden under some papers and I forgot to add it. Everything is in the fermenter now. I'm thinking of boiling about 2 cups of water and adding that to it for about 15 minutes, then adding it to the fermenter. will this work?!

You can get the same effect in the secondary, after your fermentation has completed. When racking to secondary, boil the orange peel in some water and let it cool a bit, then rack the beer into the secondary on top of it.

I made a belgian pale last winter and had the exact same experience - forgot to add my coriander and orange peel during the boil. Followed the above and the beer turned out great.

Back