Clear glass carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomman

Reaction score
So my carboy for secondary is a standard clear glass container, I was just wondering about the possibility of the beer getting skunky from the clear glass. Seems to me that if a beer gets skunky in clear bottles, the same would apply to clear secondary vessels.... I guess the obvious answer is that its easy to keep the carboy away from light, but still, seems like it would be nice to have one that i dark. Am I misunderstanding something, or is keeping it away from light important?

Yes comma you don't want your beer in direct sunlight because the UV light will "skunk" your beer. I usually just put an old jacket over it since it stabilize the temp too. You could spray paint it black but be careful not to hit the lip of the glass.

I actually wrap mine in wet towels while fermenting - it helps to keep it quite a bit cooler than room temperature. If I need it extra cool I will aim a fan at the towels and wet them again periodically.

Cheers,
Brad

BeerSmith said:
I actually wrap mine in wet towels while fermenting - it helps to keep it quite a bit cooler than room temperature. If I need it extra cool I will aim a fan at the towels and wet them again periodically...

Many of us will be doing that this summer. I placed my carboys in a plastic tub with water and freeze a bunch of water bottles to keep the temps down and use a towel/shirt to wick the water up.

Back