Best Malt to keep on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyled93

Reaction score
Hey all, besides the typical base malt. What other specialty malts should I keep on hand and in my inventory?
Munich? Or Crystal 20,40,60?

I always have Crystal 40 & 60 on hand. They seem to show up in every recipe.

Depending on your preferred styles, maybe some rolled oats for mouthfeel and head retention.

Thanks, I have a LHBS closing and have my pick at what's left. Most of the grain is in storage containers but you have to buy both. So I figure if I'm going to get the containers I might as well get the ones with the grain I'll use the most.

I can't imagine using a big container of crystal. I mean, you might have a lb of a particular crystal in a recipe, so having 10+ lbs sitting around would be a ton.

With summer coming, any of the wheat's would get my vote as well as vienna or munich.

If you have any brewing friends, you should bring them into the deal too and just slit the specialty grains.

I think mine would be the opposite of mtbiker... I'd do Munich or Vienna, followed by Crystal.

Getting more into Lagers, and I like the munich in ales as well.

Vienna, Munich, a few varieties of crystal malts, some carapils or carafoam, then maybe some Special B and/or Aromatic depending on how many Belgians you do.

This is completely dependent on what you brew. I just looked at the last 12 batches in my log and I used crystal 40 and/or 60 one time.

chickypad said:
This is completely dependent on what you brew. I just looked at the last 12 batches in my log and I used crystal 40 and/or 60 one time.

Good point.

The shop that's closing has a lot of Munich laying around. Might try to see if I can't get it for 1$ a lb. tomorrow.

I would still focus most of my money on the base malts, however. True, Munich and Vienna do count as base malts (or at least some do - it depends on the particular malt's diastatic power), but most homebrewers are going to have a lot more need for Pilsner and Pale Ale malts. I would especially snap up any Maris Otter they had left, were I in a position to do so.

What all do they have? I'd take em all! I keep at least a pound of a large variety of specialty malts on hand...but I live 3 hours from a supply house too!

They have quite a bit, my thought was to pick up any and all base malt if possible. I think today I might grab what they have for Munich and see if they have any other base malts.

image-3670188078.jpg

Picked a few of these up too!

Back