Brand new to this.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyomingBrewer

Reaction score
I have always been a beer lover but I recently got started with making it, sorta. I have read the Mr Beer posts and know how they are not really brewing but our local variety store had 3 of the deluxe premium sets on clearance for $20 bucks each and I couldnt resist. I bought all 3 and it has awakened a desire to brew for real. Thank you Mr Beer!!! Now, I have 1 question....my first batch is in the bottles now and my next 2 are fermenting on the kitchen counter. The question is, I opened the keg on the first batch during fermentation a couple of times, did I ruin it? I tasted it and looked at the color and it seemed like it was ok but I read that I should never open the keg during fermentation.

I don't know about kegs. But if you just looked at your beer while it was fermenting, then I highly doubt you ruined it. There should be enough Co2 in there that it didn't let any baddies in. If you took a reading, just make sure that you sanitized well.

It isn't a great habit to get into as far as doing it all the time, but it didn't likely hurt anything. Patience is surely a virtue in this hobby.

Also, if you are fermenting on the kitchen counter, make sure that your beer isn't exposed to sunlight. If it is in a glass carboy, you might want to move it to an area that is a little darker.

Also, if you are fermenting on the kitchen counter, make sure that your beer isn't exposed to sunlight. If it is in a glass carboy, you might want to move it to an area that is a little darker.

That and kitchens usually have wide swings in temperatures. To make the best beer you possibly can you want to prevent such swings as much as possible.

I have read the Mr Beer posts and know how they are not really brewing but our local variety store had 3 of the deluxe premium sets on clearance for $20 bucks each and I couldnt resist. I bought all 3 and it has awakened a desire to brew for real.

After brewing a while you will find that it really wasn't much of a deal. Way over priced still. I stopped brewing for 7 years, then I saw the same kits on sale here for $7.50, and it started me brewing again; 150 gallons in the year since then. I never used the 'kegs', used the hopped LME in a 5 gallon batch with other LME, some crystal, and some hops. I have used up the booster packs in other beers, substituting them for sugar just to use them up. I now think the $7.50 was expensive for what I got (since I didn't use the 'kegs', it's worth less to me). At least it got me back in the game.

No worries about the beer best left alone, but you didn't hurt it. Don't worry about it being in the kitchen; but there are better places. Since the kegs are brown, you should not worry about getting skunked. I would not recommend leaving them in direct sunlight, but otherwise don't worry RDWHAHB.

Back