Good Recipe for BMC People

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agroff383

Reaction score
My dad always hovers around while I am brewing, which is cool. I have done 11 batches so far and his neighbor buddies who he goes out to breakfast every week with want a sample.

These guys are all around 60 yrs old and I know they all just drink BMC stuff, I know damn well they won't like an IPA or Hefe, so any good crowd pleasing ales I could make with low esters and hop bitterness, maybe around 5% ABV?

I am just doing this to see what they think of a "plain" pale or brown ale maybe? And then hopefully step them up to a stronger flavored beer!

Why wouldn't they drink a Hefe. They ought to be mellow enough for those folks. Try a Blonde.

My dad always hovers around while I am brewing, which is cool. I have done 11 batches so far and his neighbor buddies who he goes out to breakfast every week with want a sample.

These guys are all around 60 yrs old and I know they all just drink BMC stuff, I know damn well they won't like an IPA or Hefe, so any good crowd pleasing ales I could make with low esters and hop bitterness, maybe around 5% ABV?

I am just doing this to see what they think of a "plain" pale or brown ale maybe? And then hopefully step them up to a stronger flavored beer!

I'd recommend BM's Cream of 3 Crops Ale. It's cheap, light, and crisp. I think BMC drinkers would dig it. There's a recipe posted under Light Hybrid Beers in the recipe section. You could also try a Kolsch.

I would think it would be mellow I am just assuming they wouldn't be down with the "weird" flavor LOL...

I agree with you. I can't stand hefeweizen. Cloves, fruity, and grapenuts? I want my beer to be BEER! (I don't like wheat beers, though, and think the hefeweizen makes a wheat beer go from bad to horrible).

My dad told me my cream ale recipe is "almost as good as MGD" if your dad is like that. So, the fizzy yellow beer recipe is better than the cream ale recipe, if my dad is any indication.

keep it simple. BMs centenial blonde in the recipe database is probably a good one to try.

Ed Wort's Haus.. It's the crowd pleaser for my uneducated BMC chugging neighbors..

+1 On Centennial Blonde. It's light and darn close to BMC, but with real flavor. I have made it a fee times and even appreciate it myself on a warm day.

My dad used to drink Olympia and Coors Light. He's not much for beer, but he's tried an oktoberfest and a honey brown ale and liked both of them.

I'd say let them try what you make and experience something new.

Back