Recipes for non craft drinkers - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Recipes for non craft drinkers

Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #21
smitte10
Recipes 

Sep 2014
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfish View Post
skeeter pee
I had never heard of that I had to google then watched a YouTube video that sounds great I think thats a definite I could see that being a big hit.

Thanks

bfish Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #22
smitte10
Recipes 

Sep 2014
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
One more vote for a cream ale - Biermuncher's cream of three crops is super BMC-drinker friendly.

Hard to go wrong, especially at a wedding where presumably 1/2 of the guests are female, with a fruit beer. This is not to say that a fruit beer is a "girly drink" or any silly crap like that - but I've found that of my family and friends who've had my beers, the women tend to favor the fruit beers a little more than the men... A nice blueberry ale can be pretty easy and good - or add just about any berry you like to any old wheat beer and you're on a decent track...
I do love a cream ale it its definitely making a presence on this post I think that's gona be added to the list as well.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #23
smitte10
Recipes 

Sep 2014
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiismean View Post
Just what the kit comes with. Riesling is sweet, you actually stop the fermentation (like cider) but it will still be sweet. it's very easy drinking. it will be a hit..
Ok great sounds awesome I think that could be a hit.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #24
smitte10
Recipes 

Sep 2014
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT View Post
Biermuncher's Centenial Blonde and Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer are always a hit with the masses.
I just looked up the fizzy yellow that sounds great that is for your input.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #25
smitte10
Recipes 

Sep 2014
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaccario View Post
These were the 2 I was going to mention as well. I did this same search just a few days ago, and these were the 2 recipes that kept coming up. I chose to try Yooper's Fizzy Yellow just b/c of the Vienna. Keep us posted on what you end up going with

I will keep everyone posted up in till we tap them at the wedding I appreciate everyone input and all your great suggestions.

Thanks so much for all the help guys.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #26
baulz
Recipes 

Oct 2011
, Ontario
Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Kolsch is a great style to try since you have time but do you have temperature control? My wife gave my latest batch approval compared to a commercial version and she hates everything I brew! Would have to check my notes but it was fermented in the 50's, transfer to a keg and left in a freezing cold garage for a month.
8lbs Pilsner and .5lbs Flaked Wheat with Hallertau at 60min to get 15-20 IBU. Used Safale K-97 yeast for the first time as Wyeast wasn't available.

I am pretty sure I got the basic recipe on HBT.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #27
smitte10
Recipes 

Sep 2014
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baulz View Post
Kolsch is a great style to try since you have time but do you have temperature control? My wife gave my latest batch approval compared to a commercial version and she hates everything I brew! Would have to check my notes but it was fermented in the 50's, transfer to a keg and left in a freezing cold garage for a month.
8lbs Pilsner and .5lbs Flaked Wheat with Hallertau at 60min to get 15-20 IBU. Used Safale K-97 yeast for the first time as Wyeast wasn't available.

I am pretty sure I got the basic recipe on HBT.
Yes I recently got tempeture control best thing in added to my little home brewery yet that sounds good ill look into it thanks l.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #28
zachattack
Recipes 

Mar 2012
, MA
Liked 312 Times on 262 Posts

So I did 7 batches for my own wedding party:

2 x hefe
1 x IPA
1 x saison
1 x dry cider
1 x dunkel
1 x barleywine

The saison was the first to go, followed very closely by the IPA, followed by all 10 gallons of the hefe. There was a little bit of dunkel and a little bit of cider left, and about half the keg of barleywine. Granted the barleywine was over 13% ABV and I didn't tap it until dessert was served.

Most of the crowd was very into beer but a lot of people were not. Hefeweizen is always a good choice since most people like it: beer newbies, BMC lovers, craft beer nerds, people looking for something fruitier, etc. No decoction mash needed, I've never done one and I've brewed many batches. Toss in some melanoidin or munich malt and you're good to go.

Saison and IPA were incredibly popular with the beer geeks, dry cider was great for wine lovers and gluten-free folks, dunkel was fantastic for people that wanted something a little darker. This was August so I didn't want to do a stout/porter, and I wanted something a little more exciting than brown ale.

I wanted to have a nice variety of styles so everyone could enjoy something, I wanted to stick to traditional styles and I knew I wanted at least one lager. If I could go back, I wouldn't change a thing.

You can also buy a 2.5 gallon keg (AIH has them for like $70) and do something fun like a keg of gin and tonics. I did that and the entire thing was gone. You can also buy a keg of local/craft commercial root beer for the kids. I did that as well and it was a big hit with non-drinkers, adults and kids both.

The logistics of the brewing (timing brew days, fermentation chamber use, kegerator space, plumbing, etc.) was a good bit of work so just make sure you have a plan for every single thing. Have extra CO2, have an extra party tap just in case, etc. My party was at a private residence and I had all kegs in the kegerators a full 3 weeks before the party to make sure they were carbed/settled.

I had so much fun with all the brewing, it was awesome seeing everyone get drunk off my creations and I got nothing but compliments all night which made me pretty damn proud. Feel free to hit me up if you want to talk more!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #29
henchman24
Recipes 

Jul 2013
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitte10 View Post
I'm not super familiar with hopshots I know its the co2 syring but I don't know anything about them do you still use your late addition aroma/flavor hop or just syring, how much do You used , is there just the one varitity ext
I still use my normal hops in the boil, flameout, hopstand, and dry hop. I use the hopshots just to bitter personally. I know some will use them late. The #1 reason I use them is that I have a ton (was given a can of extract last year) and the secondary reason is no hop loss of wort. 1ml equals roughly 10 IBUs... that varies with gravity, but it gives a solid guess. I know there are other varieties of extract/hopshots out there, but I don't think homebrewers have much access to them personally. I've see Kalsec stuff out there, but never tried them personally.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #30
sfish

Recipes 

Jan 2014
Baldwin, MD
Liked 42 Times on 32 Posts

Raging Red Irish red ale

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=239188

Made this for a party as well as 3 others and this was a BIG hot