New Brewer Here - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Brewer Here

Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
RopesByEDK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2017
Westport, MA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_deschain View Post
To be a bit simplistic, you made beer!!!!! Bottle and enjoy the fruits of your labor. It's so easy to overthink and worry about the little things but in the end your beer fermented, you didn't burn the house down, and you didn't need Tim the Enchanter to help!!!!

That is the truth, I'm excited for my upcoming brew day this weekend. Where I will actually be able to drink a home-brew, or two, of my own beer while making another batch.
-Libertarian
-Beginner Homebrewer

Roland_deschain Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #12
Decimotox
Recipes 

Aug 2016
Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopesByEDK View Post
Does pitching additional yeast cause any harm at 1.040? I understand that up to 1.070 can be handled by one packet. Or I should rather ask, is it something I should ever worry about when doing a full boil extract kit @ 5 gallon batches?
At that low of an OG, I would not advise overpitching. Overpitching can lead to some off flavors. I just plan ahead based on the recipe I'm making and the expected OG. If the expected OG of a kit I'm doing is between 1.040-1.060, I don't bother buying a second pack of yeast. If it's over 1.060, I always buy a second pack just in case I miss the expected OG and go over (which I've done several times). It's nice to have an extra pack in that instance. But with 1.040, no need to pitch more than one pack.

If I don't need the additional pack I bought, I just toss it in the fridge and use it for another batch in the future.

RopesByEDK Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #13
Kharnynb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2015
Savonlinna, Etla-Savo
Liked 601 Times on 295 Posts

looks fine, bit high fg, but nothing to worry about, just bottle and enjoy.

one question, why did you secondary? didn't see any instructions for it, and without fruit additions or possibly dryhopping, there really is no need to secondary.

Terry Pratchett

RopesByEDK Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
RopesByEDK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2017
Westport, MA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnynb View Post
looks fine, bit high fg, but nothing to worry about, just bottle and enjoy.

one question, why did you secondary? didn't see any instructions for it, and without fruit additions or possibly dryhopping, there really is no need to secondary.
Well I had been reading online about how long I can leave it in primary on the yeast cake. Some said it didn't matter, but I did read a few things that said it shouldn't be longer then 2 to 3 weeks. And since I had planned on leaving this along for longer I figured I would move it while I had some time pre-blizzard on Saturday.

My next batch is going to be an American pale ale and I was going to try to add some blueberries to that batch by racking it to a secondary on top of the blueberry puree.
-Libertarian
-Beginner Homebrewer

Old 01-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #15
Kharnynb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2015
Savonlinna, Etla-Savo
Liked 601 Times on 295 Posts

that is very outdated information, based mostly on pro brewing with massively bigger amounts creating weight compression on the yeast cake, nothing we homebrewers have to worry about.

I've had beers on the cake for 4-6 months with no ill effect.

Terry Pratchett

RopesByEDK Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #16
RopesByEDK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2017
Westport, MA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnynb View Post
that is very outdated information, based mostly on pro brewing with massively bigger amounts creating weight compression on the yeast cake, nothing we homebrewers have to worry about.

I've had beers on the cake for 4-6 months with no ill effect.
I appreciate the info and it will be noted from now on! Thank you!
-Libertarian
-Beginner Homebrewer