carboy size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyHobbit

Reaction score
I was wondering...if I am making 5 gallon batches, is it okay to just use a 5 gallon glass carboy? My dad had 2 5 gallon carboys from wine making years ago that he gave me. Should I buy a 6+ or is 5 okay? 'Till now I have done buckets. Thanks!

You need the headspace. The larger carboys are a better fit for fermenting 5 gallons. Of course you could make 4 gallon batches and use the smaller carboys.

You can use the 5 gallon carboys, just watch ya self when you put the wort into the carboy. I would get a 6.5 gallon carboy if you can find one. I hear they are not making them anymore. If not get a 6.5 gallon bucket and you will be fine.

It's not the size of the carboy, it's what you do with it. :D They do make the 6.5 gallon ones, but the factory in Mexico closed down so they're harder to find and more expensive. 6 gallon ones work as well if you can snag one.

I ferment in 5 gal. carboys and use fermcap (anti-foaming agent). I can fill the carboy well past the shoulder and not have to use a blow-off. I'm probably within 4 cups or less of filling it to the very top most times. It will still foam up and inch or so. It also helps that I typically like to ferment at the lower range of most yeast strains I use. I did need a blow off for a recent beer that I filled it extra full, however I probably only blew off a cup or so of beer

You could do it with a calmer yeast or a blow off.

I would err on the side of caution and either boil down a bit or go bigger though.

Save 'em for apfelwien or small batches.

I start in a bucket, and if I use a secondary, I switch to carboy. The buckets are not expensive, and the trub and junk is easy to clean.

Back