cleaning and sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
I've noticed my last batch had a bit of metallic taste and I narrowed it down to my racking tubes. No matter how hard I try, I can't get the white spots out of my plastic tubes. They are either water spots, or residue from the one step sanitzer. I was thinking of soaking them in a very mild bleach solution (and the rinse the hell out of them) and then soaking them in a sanitizer (one-step).

Any suggestions?

pops

ps. Trying to hook up your bottle wash to your plastic tube makes a very embarassing mess:eek:

I often have white water stains on my tubing. I don't really worry about it. If you are concerned, try swinging the tubing in a circle very fast after rinsing it. That gets most of the drops out.

I replace my tubing when I can not stand it's looks although I have never had any beer that tasted bad in the past 40 years so I think that if you wash it in very hot PBW and then rinse well and then a short soak Starsan just before use that it will not have any critters in it to hurt your beer. Starsan is an acid and can not be beat for effectivness.

Am I wrong thinking that it's the tubing? My scotch ale looks infested and doesn't taste all that good. By infested there's white things floating in it and it tastes off. It was clear and ok until I bottled.

As a side note, how bad is it before people decided to pitch it out? It doesn't taste horrible or anything. My wife thinks I'm a bit nuts, but shoot it's beer, I made it and I got good money invested in it. It's to big to fail!

Back