What do you do to make money on the side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count and measure trees for developers. About $6k per year at $40per hour is a good side job for me.

I do IT "side jobs" when I feel like getting some extra equipment bucks - computer/laptop repair, cellphone/tablet screens, that sort of thing. Really, anyone with access to YouTube and a basic set of teeny screwdrivers and spudgers can do this for a decent bit-o-cash.

The company I work for also offers a number of incentives (read: gift card $$) for doing things like walking a lot while wearing a pedometer, getting your annual physical, biometric screenings for lipids, etc etc etc. Think I've gotten about $500 in gift cards so far this year.

In college I had spare, free-time in the middle of the day, so I walked people's dogs and would house sit for them. I was getting $40/hr for 2 dogs, $50/day for house sitting.

I've flipped some car parts online (mostly older TDI stuff), but you have to know what you're looking for.

Recently I haven't had spare time for much of anything - work is slowly draining my soul. Need to get that balance back.

I don't have a side job, but a friend has been driving for uber/lift. It seems like a decent side job. I'm not sure what it pays, but there's lots of flexibility. She even picks up commuters while she is commuting to/from her normal job.

I play the pipes at bars and breweries for beer. Now that they like to celebrate St. Patty's as well as half way, time to convince them all there's business in three quarters till and one quarter till St. Patty's.

I would do English tutoring on the side if I had the inclination to make some extra dough. I get very generous offers and I feel bad saying no to the parents of my students, but I'm already at work 50 hours a week and I value my free time too much. For now, our household income vastly outstrips our spending, so it's not an issue as long as I don't measure my free time in dollars I could make tutoring. If I let my head (or my wife) convince me that that hour of video games costs me $50, it would be a lot harder to say no. Still, it's good to know that I've got a strong backup option in case my job falls through at some time - it could potentially even allow me to support our family (*kids pending) while starting up a brewery if I choose to go that way.

on a serious note I used to shine boots/shoes, give haircuts, and sharpen knives for coworkers. the knives were a steady flow during deer season.

I am part of a 'business opportunity' where you can sell stuff and then partner up with other intelligent people to sell stuff and you get a commission off of the next three levels of sales people. This is not a pyramid scheme I promise. Its an sales hierarchy. or something like that.

Actually, I rent out one floor of my house (as I am youngish and have no SWMBO or kids) to pay off the majority of my mortgage every month. This allows me more disposable income to dispose how I wish.

I do wedding photography on the side. I've scaled it waaay back in recent years, now that all my equipment (both photography and brewing) is paid for, but I still do 2-3 gigs a year to pick up some new toys here and there with money my wife can't complain about. :)

Accountant by day who is pretty good with designing spreadsheet models.

I'm waiting for the day when I'll be approached by a friend who is in desperate need of one and willing to pay in beer. It might not be soon but when it does happen, it'll be aweso...who am I kidding, that will never happen.

Accountant by day who is pretty good with designing spreadsheet models.

I'm waiting for the day when I'll be approached by a friend who is in desperate need of one and willing to pay in beer. It might not be soon but when it does happen, it'll be aweso...who am I kidding, that will never happen.

Just start up the Cheesy_Goodness HBT Tax service (with a small side in identity theft) in exchange for beer. You could make tens of dollars that way.

Just start up the Cheesy_Goodness HBT Tax service (with a small side in identity theft) in exchange for beer. You could make tens of dollars that way.

Waaaaaaaaay ahead of you there. I've already built up an impressive client list of Korean homebrewers but for some reason all of their question threads keep getting shut down.

I do small concrete jobs on the side. Pays good $$ too. Honestly, my buddy and I were going to do stamped patios on the side by ourselves, but given our family time and full time jobs, excavating, forming, pouring, cutting, curing, etc seemed like it would ruin almost every free weekend. So I just let people form up what they want, I will pour and finish, come back the next day and cut joints, and rake in some solid $$.

Prepared/planned breaking point. Better plan on concrete breaking.

Is that why they make sidewalks with those cut marks every so often in the USA?

Here, we just pave them with asphalt and edge them with cut stone.

Back