Ashes from grill/smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you all do with yours? Make sure they are cool and dump them somewhere in your yard? Do the same, bag them up and throw them in your garbage? Mix them with water and build a ash/mud fort?

I use my woodstove a lot in the winter and smoke and grill with charcoal whenever I can and have yet to figure out what to do with my ashes. So my question again is how do you dispose of your leftover ash from smoking, etc.

What do you all do with yours? Make sure they are cool and dump them somewhere in your yard? Do the same, bag them up and throw them in your garbage? Mix them with water and build a ash/mud fort?

I use my woodstove a lot in the winter and smoke and grill with charcoal whenever I can and have yet to figure out what to do with my ashes. So my question again is how do you dispose of your leftover ash from smoking, etc.

I toss mine in the garden and compost. Same goes for the ash from the fireplace.

I dump mine in the garden compost too. One time a long time ago my dad and I used ash and water to take the hair off of a skin to make raw hide....but that was a long long time ago..

You can dump ashes in a garden or do you need an actual compost garden?

Anyway, I wait for them to cool and dump them in a bag, tie it up and toss it in the garbage can.

I dump them into the outside fire pit. Once that fills up (maybe once a year) they get tossed into the woods or used to fill low spots in the yard.

Anyway, I wait for them to cool and dump them in a bag, tie it up and toss it in the garbage can.

You can dump away. As long as you dont over whelm the area you should be fine. Coffee grounds, ashes, spent grain all decomposes into good stuff!

If you dont like seeing it just take a rake and mix it in. Or dig a small trench and put it in and then bury that...

I put it in a one of those galvanized metal buckets (with an airtight lid) that you can get at Home Depot. When it's mostly full, I carefully dump it into a plastic garbage bag and toss it in the trash.

For garden, you sprinkle. Wood ash can be very alkaline (twas/is used to make Lye) so you don't want to just dump a pile and leave it.

I do however pour a ring of ash around my Lilac tree each year.

Good responses. I have been dumping mine on top of a large stump that I am trying to encourage to rot out faster for the past few years sue to the alklinity. It now is heaped rather high so I figure i need a new disposal method. I really should start a compost heap somewhere but my yard is small and I am lazy, dont think about it, would probably not turn it, and it would get stinky.

Good responses. I have been dumping mine on top of a large stump that I am trying to encourage to rot out faster for the past few years sue to the alklinity. It now is heaped rather high so I figure i need a new disposal method. I really should start a compost heap somewhere but my yard is small and I am lazy, dont think about it, would probably not turn it, and it would get stinky.

I built mine in a corner of the yard from old railroad tie landscape timbers stacked lincoln log style.

I am lazy, I don't think about, I do not turn it, it does not stink, and it still makes dirt.

sling it out into the woods. Makes a nice gr[e,a]y cloud that drifts with the wind.

Turns out wood ash is great for cleaning pans amd pots as well as the window of my fireplace. Gets burnt on stuff off real quick, everything looks as good as new afterwards. And way less toxic than aggressive cleaners.

Turns out wood ash is great for cleaning pans amd pots as well as the window of my fireplace. Gets burnt on stuff off real quick, everything looks as good as new afterwards. And way less toxic than aggressive cleaners.

Lyer!

"A lye is a liquid obtained by leaching ashes (containing largely potassium carbonate or "potash"), or a strong alkali which is highly soluble in water producing caustic basic solutions. "Lye" is commonly the alternative name of sodium hydroxide (NaOH) or historically potassium hydroxide (KOH)."

I dump ashes from my grill and smoker (both coal) on top of the rotting barley grist pile to kill the fly eggs and larvae. It's a festering sour mash in the woods behind my house. I'm sure the neighbors get whiffs of that and wonder what died.

Lyer!

"A lye is a liquid obtained by leaching ashes (containing largely potassium carbonate or "potash"), or a strong alkali which is highly soluble in water producing caustic basic solutions. "Lye" is commonly the alternative name of sodium hydroxide (NaOH) or historically potassium hydroxide (KOH)."

I was unaware of this. Good to know, but I have handled ashes without gloves and never incurred any of the unpleasant things one commonly associates with NaOH or KOH. But I guess it would be prudent to advise "use with caution"?

I was unaware of this. Good to know, but I have handled ashes without gloves and never incurred any of the unpleasant things one commonly associates with NaOH or KOH. But I guess it would be prudent to advise "use with caution"?

The lye produced from this is a very weak solution. Pioneers would make a much stronger solution by boiling the wood ash in water, separating the solids, and then boiling it down more.

Back