American Pale Ale Sunshine Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkyl428

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Us-05
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
40+
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14days + 7 day Dry Hop
Tasting Notes
Orange, and tropical fruit, paired with a nice spiciness from the rye.
After a winter of high alcohol brews and spring around the corner I decided it was time for a nice light & refreshing beer that I can enjoy a few of on a nice warm day. I have also been experimenting with hop-stands & love the results I am getting. I couldn't be happier with the results of this beer it is exactly what I set out to make and offers a lowered alcohol beer that's not lacking in the flavor of mouthfeel department. I hope you enjoy I will definitely be brewing this one again and again.:mug:

Ingredients

5lb Pale Malt (2-row)
2lb Rye Malt
.75lb Caramel/ Crystal 60L
.5lb White Wheat
.5lb Vienna Malt

Single infusion Mash @ 153°F for 60 min

.6oz (17g) Magnum 12.9%aa (60 min)
2oz Galaxy 13%aa (Flameout) (20 min hopstand)

US-05

2oz Galaxy 13%aa (dryhop 7 days)

beer.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a winner. Never used Galaxy before, this may be my next brew to celebrate Spring. :)

I'm also on board with the hopstands, I've enjoyed every one I've made that way. Tons of flavor and aroma. I see IBUs around 55 in Beersmith, I may slightly back off on that bittering charge, but Magnum is really clean and easy...clearly it worked for you. Do you wait to begin your hopstand at 185 or so, or do you just toss'em in at flameout (my usual method)?

I'm also on board with the hopstands, I've enjoyed every one I've made that way. Tons of flavor and aroma. I see IBUs around 55 in Beersmith, I may slightly back off on that bittering charge, but Magnum is really clean and easy...clearly it worked for you. Do you wait to begin your hopstand at 185 or so, or do you just toss'em in at flameout (my usual method)?

I toss the hops on at flame out,myself... I used brew target to develop the recipe IDK if that may explain the IBU difference.. this beer is definitely not bitter, but it is very hoppy... This is my first experience with Galaxy too and I am really liking it. Galaxy seems to favor the flavor of orange it is really nice... I will probably be using this hop more

I toss the hops on at flame out,myself... I used brew target to develop the recipe IDK if that may explain the IBU difference.. this beer is definitely not bitter, but it is very hoppy... This is my first experience with Galaxy too and I am really liking it. Galaxy seems to favor the flavor of orange it is really nice... I will probably be using this hop more
Excellent, I do believe I'll be giving this a go, I'm sure it's tasty. Just what I'm looking for after brewing up some heftier batches, and I love rye. Will let you know how it goes!

Actually, now that I think about it I was having a hard time with brew target & figuring my IBUs b/c of the hopstand I put them as a flameout addition and it didn't figure any IBUs for the Galaxy so I had to estimate hence the 40+ for IBUS if you can get a more concrete number you are comfortable with as correct I would trust it more than what I came up with..... regardless I would say the beer came out very balanced

Excellent, I do believe I'll be giving this a go, I'm sure it's tasty. Just what I'm looking for after brewing up some heftier batches, and I love rye. Will let you know how it goes!

Awesome! Can't wait to hear your results... I love rye as well i love the flavor it brings... Cheers!

Nice brew day, OG came in at about about 1.044 and Beersmith predicted 1.045 with my setup, so close enough for sure. Happy to be making a session pale ale for many of the reasons previously stated. The Galaxy hops smelled great...I need to use them some more. My IBUs per Beersmith are about 57, with roughly 40% coming from the Magnum. I generally feel that the steep/whirlpool additions result in less bitterness than Beersmith might suggest (subjectively). Really looking forward to sampling this in maybe 4-5 weeks. Thanks for the recipe mkyl428 and I'll let you know how she turns out.:mug:

SunshineRyePAOG.jpg

Nice brew day, OG came in at about about 1.044 and Beersmith predicted 1.045 with my setup, so close enough for sure. Happy to be making a session pale ale for many of the reasons previously stated. The Galaxy hops smelled great...I need to use them some more. My IBUs per Beersmith are about 57, with roughly 40% coming from the Magnum. I generally feel that the steep/whirlpool additions result in less bitterness than Beersmith might suggest (subjectively). Really looking forward to sampling this in maybe 4-5 weeks. Thanks for the recipe mkyl428 and I'll let you know how she turns out.:mug:

Nice! You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it I am already thinking about brewing some more :mug:

Very nice thus far. FG a little lower (1.007) due to some poor early temp control in mashing (lesson learned: always preheat mash tun). Hydro sample - some firm bitterness up front, nice slightly slick mouthfeel from the rye, which I love. Flavor lingers and really makes you want that next taste. Galaxy is great...dry hop starts today. This will be an excellent beer to reach for on hot days, or any day for that matter. Loving the somewhat lower abv (mid 4% range). Will post a pic of final product when fully bottle conditioned. Glad I brewed this one (and its only day 12)!

Very nice thus far. FG a little lower (1.007) due to some poor early temp control in mashing (lesson learned: always preheat mash tun). Hydro sample - some firm bitterness up front, nice slightly slick mouthfeel from the rye, which I love. Flavor lingers and really makes you want that next taste. Galaxy is great...dry hop starts today. This will be an excellent beer to reach for on hot days, or any day for that matter. Loving the somewhat lower abv (mid 4% range). Will post a pic of final product when fully bottle conditioned. Glad I brewed this one (and its only day 12)!

Glad you are enjoying it I just moved, so I have no beer going right now & I just finished the last of this about a week ago, man you are making me want more this beer was tasty

Glad you are enjoying it I just moved, so I have no beer going right now & I just finished the last of this about a week ago, man you are making me want more this beer was tasty
I just bottled it tonight. Every time I bottle I typically preserve the last 8oz or so for a glass to get an early glimpse of the final product. Rarely ever do I empty the glass. I emptied this one. More to come in about 2 weeks :mug:

Finally feeling moved into my new house enough to brew up my first batch at the new place. I'm going to stop by LHBS on my way home from work for supplies & then I'm going to get another batch of this going tonight, feel like easing my way into brewing in the new house with a nice easy session beer, I always feel like session beer brew days are the most enjoyable with the least amount of catastrophes....:mug:

Nice, what a great way to start the weekend. I snuck one at the 1 week mark a few days ago and I'm really looking forward to posting up pic and results. I can tell its not gonna last long!

Nice, what a great way to start the weekend. I snuck one at the 1 week mark a few days ago and I'm really looking forward to posting up pic and results. I can tell its not gonna last long!

lol yeah this one is tasty for sure I just brewed up 5 more gallons last night I can't wait :ban:

@Malty_Dog have you had a chance to sample? The recipe looks great! I'm thinking about brewing up a higher OG version with a couple minor grain swaps based on current inventory.

@Malty_Dog have you had a chance to sample? The recipe looks great! I'm thinking about brewing up a higher OG version with a couple minor grain swaps based on current inventory.
Funny you should ask!

It's delicious and I can tell you it will be the beer I reach for more than any other for the next month or so (or however long it lasts).

This is what makes homebrewing so great. Here we have a verrry tasty and satisfying session pale ale which surpasses, in my view, most of the commercial stock in my fridge. It's got body despite the low abv, malt backbone to balance the massive citrus flavor and aroma of Galaxy. Appropriately crisp from a bittering perspective as well. It's a great introduction to Galaxy. Time for another I believe. Cheers and thanks again mkyl428! :mug:

SunshineRye.jpg

I should also mention it's exactly 1 month from brew day, not quite 2 weeks in the bottle. It will probably carb up a bit more and drop real clear as well, if I don't drink/share it all to quickly.

I think I'm in. I plugged it into BS and upped the OG to 1.055 to put it more into the strong pale ale category. I've been looking for a rye pale and a galaxy heavy brew. Done and done! Thanks guys!

Funny you should ask!

It's delicious and I can tell you it will be the beer I reach for more than any other for the next month or so (or however long it lasts).

This is what makes homebrewing so great. Here we have a verrry tasty and satisfying session pale ale which surpasses, in my view, most of the commercial stock in my fridge. It's got body despite the low abv, malt backbone to balance the massive citrus flavor and aroma of Galaxy. Appropriately crisp from a bittering perspective as well. It's a great introduction to Galaxy. Time for another I believe. Cheers and thanks again mkyl428! :mug:

Glad you enjoyed it! That looks great!

Cheers:mug:

I fuggin love rye beers, congrats on a tasty looking beer. Do you regularly use rye when brewing?

Looks good mkyl428! This is a refreshing brew which has gotten great reviews across the board - it's just tasty! Great for summer.

Here's my not-so-sessionable take on this beer.
2.5g batch, 1.064 og, 1.011 fg, which Beersmith says is 7%. I bumped the ibu's up to 65 to offset the higher gravity. I guess I made an IPA version.
I used BRY-97 yeast.
Still a very tasty brew, and I will definitely brew it again, but with adjustments to make it more like the original.

View attachment 1434234027804.jpg

View attachment 1434234055206.jpg

I've always loved Galaxy hops!!! I usually use them on their own but tossed some Mosaic in for funzies on my last brew, looking forward to it! Last summer almost all I brewed were beers like this. Low ABVs with lots of hop flavor and aroma.

Here's my not-so-sessionable take on this beer.
2.5g batch, 1.064 og, 1.011 fg, which Beersmith says is 7%. I bumped the ibu's up to 65 to offset the higher gravity. I guess I made an IPA version.
I used BRY-97 yeast.
Still a very tasty brew, and I will definitely brew it again, but with adjustments to make it more like the original.

Looks good! I have only used that yeast once, but I liked it from what I can remember it was very clean & would probably be another great yeast selection for this brew

Yeah, it's a nice yeast. I did a 4-way split batch about a year ago and it enhanced the malt a little more than 05, 05 was a little too clean. BRY-97 tasted more like White Labs 090 san diego super yeast, which is my favorite liquid yeast.

Once again, great job on the recipe!
After I brew it again more in line with yours, I have ideas for a couple variations I'd like to try.

I will have to look at my notes to see what time in the boil I added the sugar on that saison, likely around the last 10-15 min

Yeah it's pretty standard for sugar and honey additions anywhere from 10- flame out it seems. At least 20% rye seems like a lot, are you trying to make it super noticeable?

Yeah it's pretty standard for sugar and honey additions anywhere from 10- flame out it seems. At least 20% rye seems like a lot, are you trying to make it super noticeable?

I looked it was last 5 min of the boil also I edited the post to reflect that

Lol I like rye what can I say?

This is the first run with the saison recipe & I may tweak it, maybe....I usually use somewhere around 20% when i use rye i really like to taste that rye character, also i BIAB so stuck sparge is no issue, this pale ale uses around 20% rye as well.

I just bottled the saison tonight actually, hydo sample tasted fantastic!

Brewed this exact recipe a month ago. Finally kill another keg so I could start this one. This is one of my favorite PAs. Very tasty and popular among family and friends. Thanks!

image.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing how that saison turns out.

Been busy, just poured one of the saisons & remembered to post about it.

It's pretty good fruity with just a hint of saison funk and a nice spicyness from the rye.

I like it over all I will probably tweak it just a bit more though

Also I just bottled another batch of the Sunshine PA man I love this stuff!

View attachment 1439787796730.jpg

I'm going to try out a similar version of this recipe this weekend. I'm shooting for a slightly lower abv, but I plan on eliminating the crystal malt, and switching out some of the rye for flaked rye. Also, I'm going to add more hop when I get down to around 180 and whirlpool for 20 minutes. I'm going for a straw colored beer that is exploding in galaxy aroma. + I love rye. I'll let you know how it turns out

Back