Any Bacon Makers Here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I need to do this. I need to learn what it takes to prepare the shoulder for curing. Go go gadget Google!

Man, I need to do this. I need to learn what it takes to prepare the shoulder for curing. Go go gadget Google!

Same as any other curing - get off most of the fat and skin, as well as any silver skin on the outside. It takes longer, of course, because it's thicker. It's as easy as belly!

Same as any other curing - get off most of the fat and skin, as well as any silver skin on the outside. It takes longer, of course, because it's thicker. It's as easy as belly!

I've never cured meat before, so this would be very interesting. I'm kind of excited to try it.

I've never cured meat before, so this would be very interesting. I'm kind of excited to try it.

Oh! I didn't mean to give such a quick answer. It is pretty simple. You should check out some reliable resources to get an idea of how much pink salt you need for the amount of meat. And then it has to cure for like a week per inch of meat - but that's measured from the center out. So a shoulder is probably no more than 3 inches.

Good info here: http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2055/ANSI-3994web.pdf

Before your cure, are you supposed to trim down the fat at all? Or is it skin? I dunno, never bought a pork belly. Or do you cure it as it is from the butcher?

2013-02-15-pork-belly-p01-580w.jpg

Before your cure, are you supposed to trim down the fat at all? Or is it skin? I dunno, never bought a pork belly. Or do you cure it as it is from the butcher?

You can cure it with the skin on, then you remove the skin after smoking. It is a lot easier to cut the skin off when it is still warm. No need to trim too much fat off. It's pretty much like it is from the butcher

Getting ready to order my bellies (if I can track down a source!) Got some extra racks for smoker now have room for probably 12-14 of the #12ish slabs of belly. Wondering what the heck I'm going to use to cure all those as far as containers.

Great tip on the skin trimming AFTER smoking.

Here is a great site with lots of well formatted information about curing, especially the top "sticky" threads.
http://www.pelletsmoking.com/searching-cure-26/

I think someone had commented about wanting to cure a shoulder (ham). I think that you should read up on the process before trying to make ham. It is generally recommended to inject the cure solution into these larger pieces. It has been some time since I myself have read about the process, but this isn't the same as making beer (no pathologic organisms are known to live in beer) and you can get very sick if you don't know what you are doing. There are a few books which are rather good discussing many aspects of the process, and my personal favorites are written by Marianski if memory serves.

TD

... Wondering what the heck I'm going to use to cure all those as far as containers.... TD
I've started using heavy duty double zip ziploc bags. They're properly air/water proof when closed carefully, and if you squeeze them between two cushions with only a small opening remaining you can get most of the air out so they take up less space.

I've started using heavy duty double zip ziploc bags. They're properly air/water proof when closed carefully, and if you squeeze them between two cushions with only a small opening remaining you can get most of the air out so they take up less space.

I was going to suggest this. If you can get the 2 or 2.5 gallon bags, a 5+ pound piece will fit. But put them on a tray of some kind in case of leaks.

Don't see why not; they fix the volume available in the bag, and my feeling is that water takes up the same volume whether it's in the meat or outside it! There may be more to it though, if the inside of the bag is at negative pressure compared to the outside, will it speed up curing?
This is the first time in twenty years the phrase "osmotic pressure" has appeared in my thoughts, and I do not thank you for it... ;-)

Does curing in vacuum bags work?

I have no idea. I suppose it would allow the pores in the meat to open more, which might speed it up. But I don't know that there is an advantage. It might make it saltier.

Vacuum bags would suck the cure solution out at the point when a vacuum would be generated, so no, they would be no different than a regular ziplock except in cost perhaps. You would need to stop the vacuum once the air is removed, but you won't be able to generate negative or vacuum pressure and retain the cure solution in the bag. I suppose a vacuum canister if large enough might work, but not a bag.

TD.

Vacuum bags would suck the cure solution out at the point when a vacuum would be generated, so no, they would be no different than a regular ziplock except in cost perhaps. You would need to stop the vacuum once the air is removed, but you won't be able to generate negative or vacuum pressure and retain the cure solution in the bag. I suppose a vacuum canister if large enough might work, but not a bag.

TD.

It's a dry cure for bacon.

Dry rub is best. I doubt vacuum pack would make much difference at all except that the idea of dry rub is to drain fluids away where a vacuum pack would act as one of those marinade packs. I wouldn't waste the effort large scale out the door but an experiment would be worth it. A brown sugar, grade B maple syrup application after dry rub works well. I'm using this more on my sweet corn finish hog bellies.

I raise hogs on a custom order basis, FWIW. I do my own curing and smoking. I take hogs to a couple of different processors for slaughter, they do a better all around than I care to bother with. Sides range from 15 to 30 pounds, the rib end being leaner than the belly end. You can see that in Ooga's pics above. Nice job.

I've only made bacon once. In FL, there are not many times of year where it is cool enough to cold smoke outdoors (below 50º). Last year I missed out and the year before was my first venture. This year I am on the verge of buying bellies, probably later this week, for a much larger batch. I did a wet cure last year which is the only way I know. I am highly interested in hearing about the dry rub method (and specific recipe). I'd love to take some of the bellies and do a couple of riffs with black pepper, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, and perhaps a couple combos with a portion of the bellies. I'm thinking that I can do probably 150# on my smoker at once. I'll have to buy my bellies from whatever source I can find. I think I have located a market that I can buy them from. Should be enough to last me a year or two plus gifts for Holidays to friends and family.

So #krackin, can you share your dry rub info for a NooB (please!)

TD

I've only made bacon once. In FL, there are not many times of year where it is cool enough to cold smoke outdoors (below 50º). Last year I missed out and the year before was my first venture. This year I am on the verge of buying bellies, probably later this week, for a much larger batch. I did a wet cure last year which is the only way I know. I am highly interested in hearing about the dry rub method (and specific recipe). I'd love to take some of the bellies and do a couple of riffs with black pepper, brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, and perhaps a couple combos with a portion of the bellies. I'm thinking that I can do probably 150# on my smoker at once. I'll have to buy my bellies from whatever source I can find. I think I have located a market that I can buy them from. Should be enough to last me a year or two plus gifts for Holidays to friends and family.

TD

Am I reading that right - you're going to do 150 pounds of belly bacon, planning to last you for a year or two? First, you have a GIANT smoker.

Secondly, I don't think you're getting the most bang for your buck when you're eating two year old bacon, even if it is vacuum packed and frozen. Smaller portions done more frequently would be better, but of course you're fighting the weather.

Nearly any grocery store with a meat counter that cuts meat should be able to get belly for you. They may not carry it all the time, but they should be able to add a belly to their order for you. They should also be able to cut it into 5 pound portions as well.

The cure is all about the proportions of sugar, salt, and curing salt you use. Aside from that, you can vary it as you like.

I have two posts that run through the basic process from curing through slicing:

http://thejewelofthemidwest.com/2015/08/13/bacon-part-1/

http://thejewelofthemidwest.com/2015/09/03/bacon-part-2/

One comment I will make is that cutting small pieces (2 lbs or less) to experiment with is not satisfying because you lose some of the edges after you're done.

If so, spill the details.

I forget how much I made the last time. It was a big cyrovac package of pork belly. I think I probably have my math screwed up on how much I'm going to make. I'm going to buy enough to keep a bunch for myself and give away some as gifts if all goes as planned. I think I found a reliable source for the meat now though. My smoker is pretty big. MAK 4 star. I have four upper racks and two primary grates. A friend says he can fit 24 pounds one upper rack sized grate. I was just doing some math and figure I'd load it up. I think once I see how much meat it is in my shopping cart that I will probably not buy that much.

Does he flavor really fade that much if you freeze the bacon? Hmm.. Maybe I just make smaller batches more frequently if so. Like I said though, I can't truly cold smoke in fl when the temp is in the 70s-80s most of the year (or higher). I have to wait for a cold snap and then have my cured bellies ready to go! I'm thinking of curing them and then freezing them so they a ready to smoke once thawed for a cold snap. Weather forecasters are predicting some lower temps in the near future I hope.

Thanks for the links.

TD

Most places package them in 5 whole bellies to the box. That's how I always have to buy it here. Nobody will order just one belly. Sometimes I split a box with a friend but if I do all five I can give it away or eat it real quick. I need to get a box and make some more. The only real time is in the smoking making sure to keep an even temp. I rigged two smokers together and usually rotate once or twice for smoke color and temp. Thanks for the compliment Krackin, that stuff didn't last long.

I guess I'm lucky that we get belly regularly in the store!

I am drooling looking at the pics. Unfortunately pork belly around me is a custom order item and more expensive than ordering insanely good bacon from a family owned place that cures and smokes it on site. I make buckboard bacon and Canadian bacon at least once during the winter. Both are easy to make and very tasty.

I guess I'm lucky that we get belly regularly in the store!

Read those links. Sounds like they are doing a hot smoke (as opposed to a cold smoke) in the part two. I think the last time I did mine, I did a cold smoke for an hour or three, then hot smoke (ambient temps were high 70's) Is it a misconception of mine that bacon should be cold smoked with ambient temps in low 50's at most (and in the smoker too)?

I scored about 6 slabs (roughly the size of a computer keyboard if you snapped off the keypad section with the numbers, but probably twice as thick as a keyboard). I think each piece is about 4.5-5.5 pounds, frozen, and I believe skin removed. paid $68. The market was the seediest place I probably ever set foot into, in a bad low rent part of "town". Hoping to find some more from another source. Planning to thaw and cure once the ten day forecast shows a chilly day coming. Will post pics too.

TD

Was it mine? At Yooper's place?

I don't have a whole lot of pictures of my bacon making process, but here's one right off the smoker:

n48eN8G.jpg

Yes. I didn't want to swell your head or anything. ;)

I'm so anxious to try making my own, but with all the stuff going on lately in addition to the smoker going bust, I haven't had a chance.

I think it's actually going to warm up a bit in a day or two again, so I might check on that site and see if I can sneak some bacon-making in soon. I think I can rig my smoker with an electric element I have, but I'm not sure what the temp will be. It wasn't designed for my smoker can.

Homer can you burn charcoal in your smoker? If so lump charcoal is your friend :)

"Bacon" is a broad church, and very accepting of different forms :)
That said, to me it is cured and ideally cold smoked around 10C (50F), which makes our current warm spell in the UK double-plus annoying.
What cut is back board? Seems to be shoulder from what I can see, but isn't it risky having an boned joint of meat? I was told every open surface is an invitation to bugs...not criticising, just looking to learn.

"Bacon" is a broad church, and very accepting of different forms :)
That said, to me it is cured and ideally cold smoked around 10C (50F), which makes our current warm spell in the UK double-plus annoying.
What cut is back board? Seems to be shoulder from what I can see, but isn't it risky having an boned joint of meat? I was told every open surface is an invitation to bugs...not criticising, just looking to learn.

Buckboard is shoulder bacon. I think it is usually done with the bone out.

Read those links. Sounds like they are doing a hot smoke (as opposed to a cold smoke) in the part two. I think the last time I did mine, I did a cold smoke for an hour or three, then hot smoke (ambient temps were high 70's) Is it a misconception of mine that bacon should be cold smoked with ambient temps in low 50's at most (and in the smoker too)?

I scored about 6 slabs (roughly the size of a computer keyboard if you snapped off the keypad section with the numbers, but probably twice as thick as a keyboard). I think each piece is about 4.5-5.5 pounds, frozen, and I believe skin removed. paid $68. The market was the seediest place I probably ever set foot into, in a bad low rent part of "town". Hoping to find some more from another source. Planning to thaw and cure once the ten day forecast shows a chilly day coming. Will post pics too.

TD

I think cold or hot smoke would be fine, as long as you cook it before eating it. After the hot smoke is done, the meat is cooked through. If you cold smoke, it would not be cooked, just flavored with smoke.

Am I reading that right - you're going to do 150 pounds of belly bacon, planning to last you for a year or two? First, you have a GIANT smoker.

Secondly, I don't think you're getting the most bang for your buck when you're eating two year old bacon, even if it is vacuum packed and frozen. Smaller portions done more frequently would be better, but of course you're fighting the weather.

Nearly any grocery store with a meat counter that cuts meat should be able to get belly for you. They may not carry it all the time, but they should be able to add a belly to their order for you. They should also be able to cut it into 5 pound portions as well.

The cure is all about the proportions of sugar, salt, and curing salt you use. Aside from that, you can vary it as you like.

I have two posts that run through the basic process from curing through slicing:

http://thejewelofthemidwest.com/2015/08/13/bacon-part-1/

http://thejewelofthemidwest.com/2015/09/03/bacon-part-2/

One comment I will make is that cutting small pieces (2 lbs or less) to experiment with is not satisfying because you lose some of the edges after you're done.

TD

Give me a day or two, I'll be rubbing up a fresh belly, 20 lbs at a reasonably experienced guess. Most likely you don't want to cure and smoke a much larger quantity at a given time unless you have a very large consumer base and large smoker.

Bacon, ham and sausage do not freeze well. Not at all. Yes, the actual product will be edible for a long time, years, but the salt causes the fats to go rancid over a fairly short time. In 6 months you will see degradation for certain. Maybe not a lot but you will taste it. Best to go shorter term storage for such a great product. Besides, it is fun to do.

Give me a day or two, I'll be rubbing up a fresh belly, 20 lbs at a reasonably experienced guess. Most likely you don't want to cure and smoke a much larger quantity at a given time unless you have a very large consumer base and large smoker.

Bacon, ham and sausage do not freeze well. Not at all. Yes, the actual product will be edible for a long time, years, but the salt causes the fats to go rancid over a fairly short time. In 6 months you will see degradation for certain. Maybe not a lot but you will taste it. Best to go shorter term storage for such a great product. Besides, it is fun to do.

Hey! Thanks for the advice! I have about 20# in 6 pieces however. Its already frozen from the meat market. Plan to begin curing and then wait for a cold day once temp is in the 50's hopefully. How long can I hold the cured belly before smoking, while waiting for a cool day(or night)?

What is your dry cure recipe and do you have any Bourbon or Maple Syrup riffs I can use since I have 6 small slabs?

TD

Homer can you burn charcoal in your smoker? If so lump charcoal is your friend :)

I'm thinking about it. Only problem is temp regulation. It's designed to have an electric element, so I may have to add vents and monitor it.

And actually, I'm not sure how hot the replacement element is going to get things, so I should test it before smoking anything valuable.

And anyway, I think bacon is probably best cold smoked, but I'll have to look that up.

Landrace pig using Ruhlman's salt box with maple then cured for 7 days. 30 mins of cold smoke and then hot smoked at 225f to finish with internal temp of 145f

image.jpg

Back