Ordinary Bitter "Pretty Ordinary" - an Australian/English Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks tasty as! Have drunk plenty of beers with Pride of Ringwood and it's the proper Aussie bittering hop, hey. Must be time to get some as I haven't actually brewed with it yet.

My only dissapointment with this recipe is the apology for using metric. Don't make it too easy for 'em, mate. :mug:

haha, yeah mate, give it a go. it's super simple. when you've had enough of ipa fruity bombs or malt forward beers, this guy just hits the nail on the head.

and true; i'll keep on with metric. makes it a sh!tload easier :p

:off:

You people and your metrics. :D

Actually, I've tried cutting over to metrics. I have a science background, and I'm very comfortable using metric units. When I was in school in the 70s, we were all taught metric, and were told that the US would switch over in a few years. It never happened.

I've tried to find metric tape measures and tools. They are almost impossible to find. Plus, any blueprints or plans you use are in US units anyway, so you have to convert everything.

I recently took a welding class. Everything was in US units. I asked why they didn't switch to metric units for simplicity and they looked at me like I was nuts. Try adding 3' 7-3/4"+3-14/16"+9-3/8"+1' 3-1/8" inches in your head. It's insane.

You just can't do it in the US. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I have some Australian hops in the freezer; been wondering what to do with them. But they are Super Alpha (a.k.a. Dr. Rudi) instead of PoR. Might give this a go anyway because I think I have all the other ingredients.

I have some Australian hops in the freezer; been wondering what to do with them. But they are Super Alpha (a.k.a. Dr. Rudi) instead of PoR. Might give this a go anyway because I think I have all the other ingredients.

nice! let me know how it goes mate.

i've tailored the recipe a bit but the original is still great. i prefer wlp013 for the yeast, if you can source it.

this is the most recent picture

pob.jpg

apologies up front for having metric calculations (from australia). my ingredients are english malts and australian malts but substituting american equivalents would give a very similar tasty beer.

english ales are notoriously low carbonated, and australian bitters (now mainly lagers) are often highly carbonated. i prefer the higher carbonation and a very slight carbonic bite.

ingredients:
3.45kg joe white pale ale malt (american 2-row would substitute well)
220gm joe white wheat malt
200gm simpsons medium crystal (crystal 60)
48gm pride of ringwood (pellets, 5.6 aa%, 60 mins)
1 pack danstar windsor british ale yeast, hydrated
1 tablet whirlfloc or irish moss etc
0.5 tsp yeast nutrient

process
* my brewhouse efficiency is 70%
* single infusion mash for 90 minutes at 149F (65C)
* boil for 90 minutes
* ferment for 10-14 days at 61-62F (slightly higher if you REALLY like the english esters)
* cold crash in primary for 4-5 days
* no secondary required, will clear in keg/bottle
* i bottle condition for about 4 weeks with 2 coopers carbonation drops
* if kegging, or bulk priming, get to about 2.7 for higher carbonation

extract version
substitute the pale ale malt with light DME and the wheat with dried wheat malt. steep the crystal as normal

notes
this was named the "pretty ordinary bitter" as i didn't expect much from it. in all my brewing experience my friends have never loved any beer so much as this one. isn't it always the way? it showcases typical australian pride of ringwood bitterness with higher carbonation (bitey), against a lovely and gentle, almost nutty, english ester from the yeast. they both compliment each other perfectly.

if your windsor finishes on you early as it is known to do, simply rehydrate a pack of US-05 and pop it into the fermenter. it will finish off the fermentation cleanly with no additional tastes, while still keeping the english esters, and allow it to get to the desired FG. my first one finished at 1.014 and it was still very nice. anywhere from 1.014 to 1.008 would be in style and taste amazing. try to keep it at about 4.5-4.8% abv.

more info
http://sexyfuntimebrewing.weebly.com/pretty-ordinary-bitter.html

761064.jpg

terrible picture (thanks to my phone but i'll post a clearer one when i have it)
7902235_orig.jpg

Thanks for doing it in metric, finally.... lets note, the world is metric now and its really a pain to convert every recipe written from the old world into the new world

nice! let me know how it goes mate.

i've tailored the recipe a bit but the original is still great. i prefer wlp013 for the yeast, if you can source it.
Title: Australian Bitter

Style Name: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 4.55%
IBU (tinseth): 34.43
SRM (morey): 6.69

FERMENTABLES:
6.25 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (89.3%)
6 oz - American - CaraCrystal Wheat Malt 45L (5.4%)
6 oz - American - Munich - Light 10L (5.4%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Dr. Rudi, Pellets, AA: 8.5, Boil for 30 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 2.3 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
6 ml - Lactic acid, 88%, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
2.6 ml - Phosphoric acid, 85%, Type: Water Agt, Use: Other

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safbrew - General/Belgian Yeast S-33

NOTES:
The phosphoric acid was for the sparge. I brewed this with alkaline Minnesota tapwater (HCO3 = 317)

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2017-12-28 16:51 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2017-10-11 18:31 UTC
This was a 4 gallon batch, so about 15 liters. The yeast finished in 2 days, or so it seemed. I gave it a week and then fined with gelatin, and that woke the yeast back up and it started fermenting again. Took forever to clear. But eventually it did, and after a couple of weeks in the bottle it's sparkling clear and tastes wonderful. A bit lighter-bodied than I generally drink, so next time I might increase the Munich and crystal malt to 8 ounces each. I don't know what the yeast's problem was, maybe I finished the fermentation too cool.

Title: Australian Bitter

Style Name: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 4.55%
IBU (tinseth): 34.43
SRM (morey): 6.69

FERMENTABLES:
6.25 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (89.3%)
6 oz - American - CaraCrystal Wheat Malt 45L (5.4%)
6 oz - American - Munich - Light 10L (5.4%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Dr. Rudi, Pellets, AA: 8.5, Boil for 30 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 2.3 gal

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
6 ml - Lactic acid, 88%, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
2.6 ml - Phosphoric acid, 85%, Type: Water Agt, Use: Other

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safbrew - General/Belgian Yeast S-33

NOTES:
The phosphoric acid was for the sparge. I brewed this with alkaline Minnesota tapwater (HCO3 = 317)

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2017-12-28 16:51 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2017-10-11 18:31 UTC
This was a 4 gallon batch, so about 15 liters. The yeast finished in 2 days, or so it seemed. I gave it a week and then fined with gelatin, and that woke the yeast back up and it started fermenting again. Took forever to clear. But eventually it did, and after a couple of weeks in the bottle it's sparkling clear and tastes wonderful. A bit lighter-bodied than I generally drink, so next time I might increase the Munich and crystal malt to 8 ounces each. I don't know what the yeast's problem was, maybe I finished the fermentation too cool.

sorry for me extremely late reply!

yeah i've not used s-33 so can't compare it sadly.

have you tried a re-brew as yet?

i did this recently and used s-04 which wasn't as nice as wl013 but nicer than the windsor.

I have not done a rebrew yet; I have used S-33 again, though (in an American porter.) I fermented cool for a week or so, then raised the temperature to 72 degrees F for a week. It did much better that way.

Back