Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked this so much that I'm boiling my second batch now. Using raw hops vs pellets this time. Also going to keg this batch (bottled last time).

I am going to brew this next week. I am an extract brewer. The centennials I bought
Are 11.6 and the cascades are 8.0. When I pit in beer smih I am way over on IBU's. I put 3lbs boil 3lbs late addition with 2.5 gallon fermenter top off. Can anyone give some advice?

I decided to mess with the hopping on this and double the amounts. Turns out I had 1 oz of centennial, 0.5 oz of cascade and 0.5 oz of citra. So I am brewing a BierMuncher inspired 50 IBU IPA/Pale Ale experiment at the moment!

I am going to brew this next week. I am an extract brewer. The centennials I bought
Are 11.6 and the cascades are 8.0. When I pit in beer smih I am way over on IBU's. I put 3lbs boil 3lbs late addition with 2.5 gallon fermenter top off. Can anyone give some advice?

Either adjust the amounts of hops during the first half hour of the boil down until you get the right IBU, or try boiling all of your extract for the full hour. One of these two solutions should get you to the right bitterness. I would do the first.

All I can say is "Thank You" BierMuncher

P1010589 (2).JPG

I brewed this (modified) yesterday - my first all-grain batch. I hit a gravity of 1.042 and filled my bucket right to the 5 gallon mark. Modification - my LHBS didn't have centennial hops, and the cascade he had was 6.9%. So, I bought an ounce of that, and used a quarter ounce for each of the later two additions (as per the recipe). For the earlier two additions, I used a quarter ounce of the cascade supplemented with ~.05 oz of some warrior hops I've got. I'm sure it won't be exactly the same, but it should be quaffable. It was bubbling away nicely this morning!

You'll probably notice a lack of Centennial hops this year. According to the NB rep in my area, Bells and another brewery bought out the Centennial harvest for whatever reason. In response, NB had a "Centennial Type" hop that I used in my last batch with great results.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/05/centennial-type-hops-for-a-shortage/

Probably Founders. Have to keep up that Two-Hearted and Centennial IPA production.

Maybe we will see more Bravo usage. Here's to hoping!

Thanks for the info, pvtschultz. My LHBS will be interested to know that; he thought he should have had some centennial when I came in looking for it, and was wondering why his supplier didn't ship it. I'll pass this info along to him.

I've brewed this a few times and LOVED it! However I'm trying to foray into trying different hops in recipes I know and I wondered what other combination might go with this type of beer.
I have some Saaz that I've never used before, but is that something that is recommended with this type of beer? Anyone else have any ideas?

dextryn said:
I've brewed this a few times and LOVED it! However I'm trying to foray into trying different hops in recipes I know and I wondered what other combination might go with this type of beer.
I have some Saaz that I've never used before, but is that something that is recommended with this type of beer? Anyone else have any ideas?

Im actually gonna try this with simcoe and citra in the same amounts and times as the recipe calls for

Well, day 24 (7 days in the keg) and I decided to pour a pint. Freakin metallic taste! Can't figure out what went wrong. Using SS pot....Malt was 2 days from store in sealed bags ( they don't have loose grain). Water profile appears fine and I've never had bad taste like this before.

Depressed.....

Well, day 24 (7 days in the keg) and I decided to pour a pint. Freakin metallic taste! Can't figure out what went wrong. Using SS pot....Malt was 2 days from store in sealed bags ( they don't have loose grain). Water profile appears fine and I've never had bad taste like this before.

Depressed.....

I would really like to know how this happened. Although it's never happened to me homebrewing, New Holland's beers always have this effect. I always wondered why it would happen. Sorry for your bad experience :(

I was going to bottle up our batch last night, only to realize I didn't have enough bottles!!!!!!!

Depressed.....

Try hooking up a plastic picnic tap and drawing a sample. Sometimes if I'm not on top of cleaning my SS taps, the gunk that builds up inside can absorb and pass on a metallic taste.

Metallic taste is not part of the flavor evolution of this beer. But in many cases (for me) when I have that taste in any beer, it seems to fade with time, unless it was caused by a yeast mutation.

I've had this on my list for a long time, and I have just enough leftover grain and cascade to pull it off. However I don't have crystal 10, just 40.

Should I use it in replacement, or use only a little and replace the rest with 2-row?

I've had this on my list for a long time, and I have just enough leftover grain and cascade to pull it off. However I don't have crystal 10, just 40.

Should I use it in replacement, or use only a little and replace the rest with 2-row?

I think that Munich 10 would be a better sub than C40. The crystal malt helps to add body to this otherwise low gravity beer.

pvtschultz said:
I think that Munich 10 would be a better sub than C40. The crystal malt helps to add body to this otherwise low gravity beer.

Isn't that what the cara-pills is for? Sure crystal adds body, but more of a caramel flavor and sweetness. All out of munich 10 anyway. Just have c40 and some amber malt.

I did the sub for C40 in BeerSmith and the color will still be within style for a blonde ale. I say go for it, you might get more caramel flavor, but you have everything on hand.

Made this yesterday and accidentally put in twice the amount of hops that was called for, b@lls! I think I just turned this into a pale ale? Its all good though I love me some centennial hops.

My girlfriend and I brewed the extract version today with some coriander and orange zest (thanks carolinabrewer). We're going to crack the first one open for Thanksgiving, can't wait!

I have made this twice First time was my first AG, I goofed up ordering and ended up with caravienna instead of Vienna malt. Beer came out really good. Second time, I made a 10gal batch for my sons first birthday party, got all of the correct ingredients. This beer is flat out amazing.

I made this recipe this time without the caramel 10 and used bohemian lager (my first time using lager yeast). And this really surprised me how good it is. This is a perfect beer to share with BMC drinking friends

This grain bill with all citra is outstanding! Kept the IBU at around 30- needs a few more day to carbonate, but already tastes awesome!

mux said:
This grain bill with all citra is outstanding! Kept the IBU at around 30- needs a few more day to carbonate, but already tastes awesome!

I was gonna brew this with a simcoe/citra next weekend. Using all citra, how much and what times did you throw it in?

DagoBrewer said:
I was gonna brew this with a simcoe/citra next weekend. Using all citra, how much and what times did you throw it in?

I'll check my notes when I get home and let you know.

Took 5 gallons of this to a bachelor party full of BMC drinkers and the keg was spewing foam in less than 2 hours. Great beer that will definitely be put into my regular brewing rotation.

Back