10 gallon round cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do it, and do it *quickly*!

I got mine on sale at HD a few months ago for $42. One of the best investments that I've made in my brewery

Anyone else see this deal? Just wondering if it was a local sale or not. Might try to convince SWMBO to swing by home depot later today.

Buy two -- the second can be used for a hot liquor tank so that you don't need two pots and two burners and a stand!

drunkatuw said:
Anyone else see this deal? Just wondering if it was a local sale or not. Might try to convince SWMBO to swing by home depot later today.

$39.99 @ HD in Cary, NC

That's what I got mine for a few months ago.....not a bad deal, especially as that's all you'll ever really need to do batch sparge AG.

HD today = $59.99
Osh = $49.99

That's the cheapest I've seen. Damn socal thinking they can charge and we pay whatever they want. Oh, wait...I have one....DAMMIT

After a few hours at the mall, I convinced SWMBO to swing by HD and I picked up the last one in the store for $39.99 in Rochester, MN

the_Roqk said:
Sweeeeeeeeet! :rockin:

The worst (or best depending on how to look at it) is that I wasn't expecting to jump to all grain for a while, I only have 3 extract brews under my belt. But I figured if I waited until sometime this winter there is no way HD or any other local retailer would have 10g coolers on clearance (if in stock at all).

So now I have to figure out all the other equipment I need and how to slowly accumulate it so SWMBO doesn't notice :)

drunkatuw said:
The worst (or best depending on how to look at it) is that I wasn't expecting to jump to all grain for a while, I only have 3 extract brews under my belt. But I figured if I waited until sometime this winter there is no way HD or any other local retailer would have 10g coolers on clearance (if in stock at all).

So now I have to figure out all the other equipment I need and how to slowly accumulate it so SWMBO doesn't notice :)
Good thinking, both with respect to cooler availability and SWMBO -- at least based on my experience! ;)

While that cooler is sitting around waiting to become an MLT, it will make a great fermentation chest. Carboys fit in there perfectly. You could even lager in it, if you were up for adding fresh ice every day or two.

FlyGuy said:
Good thinking, both with respect to cooler availability and SWMBO -- at least based on my experience! ;)

While that cooler is sitting around waiting to become an MLT, it will make a great fermentation chest. Carboys fit in there perfectly. You could even lager in it, if you were up for adding fresh ice every day or two.

Thankfully, I already have an old kegerator (used strictly for sanke kegs) that I'm no longer using since I bought an open box sanyo 4912 a couple weeks ago at best buy for $125. I haven't brewed a lager yet, but I have an octoberfest extract kit sitting around, so once I have a carboy empty I'll be brewing that.

Man, homebrewing sure is an addictive and expensive hobby...and I haven't even tasted my first brew yet (it's only been 4 weeks since I got addicted)!

I love homebrewers... I mean, where else would a deal on a 10 gallon beverage cooler raise so much commotion?! We are truely unique! (As my wife rolls her eyes!)

Here in Richmond the 10 gal coolers are always $40 at HD and the 5 gal coolers are $20.

I did however, see the Igloo 70qt max cold rolling cooler on sale at Target on clearance for $31 the other day (so I now have one). These are typically $45-50. A couple more parts and I'll have a port-o-kegger.

I saw these:

link

At Wal-mart today.

60quart cube cooler with wheel for about $25.

I was at BassPro last weekend, saw a 155qt cooler and starting trying to figure out what size batch I could mash with it. :ban:

My name is Ed and I am a homebrewer...:drunk:

I have a 10 gallon igloo that I converted using Flyguy's instructions. Can I use it to do 10 gallon batches? I am a bit short on time and thinking that if I do one brew at 10 gallons, I can get more bang for my time on the weekends.

Greg

Is there any difference between the threaded lids and the push down lids in regards to the coolers' ability to hold steady temps. The local HD has several 10 gallon Igloo coolers for $39, but they don't have the threaded lids. I thought about going ahead and getting one or two for future AG use, I am sure I will go that route eventually anyway.

SW Brewer said:
I have a 10 gallon igloo that I converted using Flyguy's instructions. Can I use it to do 10 gallon batches? I am a bit short on time and thinking that if I do one brew at 10 gallons, I can get more bang for my time on the weekends.

Greg

Yep, you can. The only thing is you'd probably max out at about 22 pounds of grain so you couldn't do a high gravity 10 gallon batch. So I'd think that any 10 gallon recipe that would use 22-23 pounds of grain or less would work!

Back