AG Keg sanitization???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hlmartin22

Reaction score
So I recently stumbled across some 3 gallon ball lock kegs for CHEAP. I knew it might be a long shot but figured the risk was worth it.

These kegs have been used to administer herbicides in agricultural fields. I am planning to recondition all of the gaskets but I am uncertain if star-San will be adequate to sterilize and remove herbicide residuals. Can anyone help me with this one????

That doesn't sounds so good....But I would probably risk it too if the price was cheap

I would probably let it soak in boiling water....the. Soak an oxiclean ....then soak in some bleach ....and rinse about 20 times before star San ....

Good luck hopefully you will survive and give us an update :)

Haha, knew this one would sound super iffy. I mean let's think... Dangerous poison- beer vessel? Hmmmmm hahaha.

But when I think about it it must be possible to clean stainless steel completely with some sort of acid wash. Just couldn't pass up the price.

Already have four 5 gallon cornys but was thinking this could be good for some stovetop brews and crazy experimental batches I don't want 5-10 gallons of. Anyway yeah, going to start going through intensive scrub and soak cycles with different cleaners. Maybe I can get them tested for dangerous residue somewhere afterwords (I am right next to the University of Georgia).

Back