Sticky Taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfidd

Reaction score
On my home-made Kegerator, (sorry no pics), my taps get sticky to the point that I feel like I am gonna pull the tap off the wall to get a glass of brew. I have heard of this before, I guess with the non-forward sealing faucets a drop of brew remains and crystallizes making a sticky point. I made up a iodophor solution and stuck it in a dollar store spray bottle, now when i get a brew, I just spray a squirt of iodophor solution into the faucet to wash it down and so far no more sticking!

Probably not a new solution to the problem, but maybe a tip for someone. :tank:

Rick

Thanks. I have been there, done that, but as you say, the real solution is the forward sealing faucet. I have Perlicks and am very happy I went that way.

I know this thread is pretty old, but I figure why start a new one?

I have sticky taps, and I know Perlicks are the answer. Just not right now. I just got a new double tower with conventional faucets and these stick MUCH more than my old faucet on my original tower. So much that I broke a tap handle.

Anyway, do you think that putting a small amount of keg lube on the ball in the red circle is an answer? Or will that mess up the taste of the beer coming through? It's food grade, but I don't want to taste it.

stickytap.jpg

Don't laugh on this one it works on many different items.
I use EPIC White Lightning all-conditions lubricant. Other
brands are available at your local buicycle shop.
This is wax base with a solvent that evaporates quickly
that's used on bicycle chains. It is designed to lubricate but
does not collect dirt and mud that a mountain bike goes thru.
I have had no ill effects or off flavors as this is a dry wax base
material after the transfer solvent evaporates. All I can say it works for me.
Great for door hinges and latches thruout the house plus other items
needing a dry lubricant that is not dirty or collects dirt after it dries.

So you put the EPIC right there where I have the image circled?

I still kind of want an opinion on the food grade keg lube if anyone has one...

I do not see any way that wax can become a health hazard. If wax was a health hazard crayons would of been banned from schools 60 plus years ago. After this fast evaporating solvent has evaporated from doing it's job as a transfer medium for the wax what is left besides wax? Epic or White Lightning both work with the same results without any ill effects over the years that I and my brewing friends have been using. To each his own, I just added a suggestion that works for us. We are not drinking it out of the plastic bottle it comes in. If your not happy use what makes you feel better for you and your equipment.

Easy...... Not bashing your method, I just happen to already have the lube here. If I get a thumbs down on it, I'm definitely open to the EPIC.

Lacking forward sealing faucets, the best way to prevent sticking is to use the tap daily.

The keg lube I would suspect may negatively effect head retention, but not enough that I can see a thumbs down coming from it.

I'm just getting into kegging, don't have money to buy 4 taps, so I will by one at a time. I've been comtemplating buying the cheapos, then delegate them to the jockey box duty when I have funds for a Perlicks.

I found these as a potential solution to sticky taps.... (sponge inserts)

Has anybody tried these before?

beer nozzle cleaner - Banner Equipment Company

FFFL.jpg

FFL.jpg

FF-C-8-dipL.jpg

They're pretty bad. If you don't use for a few days and they dry out, they stick up in your faucet. I ripped one pulling it out.

Back