Looking for some basic supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
So after work I'm going to head out to Wal-Mart to pick up some extra supplies/tools for my new hobby. I already have the basics for brewing beer (my first batch is going through primary right now), but I'm looking for some of those extra tips that some of you use to make your lives easier. I already know I need to get a thermometer for the walk-in closet where my beer is currently fermenting, but, what else? Your suggestions are appreciated!

P.S. Can anyone recommend a thermometer?

A pair of tongs, a turkey baster if you don't already have a wine thief, a long stainless spoon, a digital scale for priming sugar/hops, measuring spoons all come in handy.:mug:

I have bought all my little extras all over the place but I can honestly say that hardly any of them came from walmart. You could get a timer, a thermometer, stirring spoon, measuring cups, scale, and maybe a turkey baster (i don't use one) there but no specially items.

This is my favorite thermometer: ProAccurate Digital Thermometer : Northern Brewer

Qeelin

oxyclean free
a large tea ball or small paint strainer bags for hops
a funnel
an empty spray bottle to mix up a starsan solution in
a rubbermaid bin to organize your supplies

I got my digital scale at walmart for $20 in kitchen supplies. It measures in pounds,kilos,grams,& ounces. Long tongs,spoons, & fine mesh strainers can all be had there.

Ok, so the more I think about it the more I realize that I do have quite a few items from Walmart. I'm all about brewing on the cheep so go for it!

Hey guys, can you get a hyrdometer at Bed Bath and Beyond? My best gal needs to head over and I'm going with her. Unfortunately, we won't be around a walmart, which is where I hear you can get them normally. Anyway, thanks....

I'm sure I haven't seen them at either store around here. Kmart used to carry cooper's & the like,but were discontinued a couple of years ago. too bad too,cause they were way cheaper than $18.99 a can.

You could get a cheap extra pot for heating sparge water, or whatever. Oxy-clean. Beer to last until your first batch is done. Socks - nothing to do with brewing, but who doesn't need socks?

You could get a cheap extra pot for heating sparge water, or whatever. Oxy-clean. Beer to last until your first batch is done. Socks - nothing to do with brewing, but who doesn't need socks?

Socks! what do I need oxi-clean for?

I got my baster, s/s long handled spoon, bucket for sanitizing solution, cheesecloth for grains, and bleach from the dollar store. Possibly for less than wal-mart has them.

Back