Critique My Recipe/Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scanloni

Reaction score
So this is a combination of a True Brew Pale Ale kit, and a Stone IPA clone recipe. It's my second brew.

The Steep:
Crystal Malt grains for 25minutes.

The Boil:
1.5 gallons water (will add to 3 gallons, then top off to total 5)
1 can Hopped Light Malt Extract, 2 lbs Light Dried Malt Extract

Hop Schedule:
.5 oz Magnum for 60
.65 Perle for 60
2 oz Cascade for 15
1 tsp Irish Moss for 15

Dry Hop: 1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Perle, 1 oz Kent Golding for 7 days

Yeast: Ale (came in kit)

Thoughts?

Looks fine. I have no idea what hops or how much bitterness the hopped malt extract will add, so its hard to say what it will turn out like with the hop additions you have. It will be a grand experiment!

On the hop additions, if it were me, I would keep the Magnums at 60 minutes, move the Perles to 20 minutes, and divide the Cascades into two additions of one ounce each, at 10 minutes and 5 minutes. For the dry hopping, I would leave the Kent Goldings out of it, its the style that doesn't fit the other hops you are using and its aroma will get lost with the Cascade and Perle, I think.

If you want to use the Goldings, maybe replace the Perle in the boil with them, at 20 minutes.

Of course, this is just opinion - what you have will work just fine, too.

Pappers_ said:
Looks fine. I have no idea what hops or how much bitterness the hopped malt extract will add, so its hard to say what it will turn out like with the hop additions you have. It will be a grand experiment!

On the hop additions, if it were me, I would keep the Magnums at 60 minutes, move the Perles to 20 minutes, and divide the Cascades into two additions of one ounce each, at 10 minutes and 5 minutes. For the dry hopping, I would leave the Kent Goldings out of it, its the style that doesn't fit the other hops you are using and its aroma will get lost with the Cascade and Perle, I think.

If you want to use the Goldings, maybe replace the Perle in the boil with them, at 20 minutes.

Of course, this is just opinion - what you have will work just fine, too.

Thanks for your input. Was thinking the same thing about the Goldings, maybe I'll omit them,

I used both Magnum and Perle for 60 based on the Stone IPA recipe, no other reason. Why would you add Perle for 20 vs 60? Too bitter? And what's the reasoning for dividing the Cascade at 10 and 5? Trying to dial in the bitterness even more? I added 2 oz Cascade at 15 based on the Stone IPA recipe which calls for 2 oz Centennial for 15.

Still trying to learn the fine tuning of hop additions.

Back