newbie - forgot to put water in airlock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nt80085

Reaction score
this is my first attempt at brewing and im using the woodfordes wherry bitter kit.

I followed the instructions on the box. sanitised everything. ive got a clear plastic fermenting tub with lid and a cylinder type airlock. the only thing is i forgot to put some water in the airlock!!

after two days the beer had about an inch foam on top, since then it has dropped right down and the top of the beer is pretty foam free now. the fermenting tub is in the linen cupboard and is a fairly constant 22-24 deg.

i still have about 3 days to go before moving to the secondary fermentation stage(the box says just to bottle up but after reading here i may as well go the extra mile to hopefully make it a better brew).

so what are the chances of my brew actualy coming out ok? ive just topped up the airlock but i guessing its really too late...your thoughts...

cheers in advance for any advice!

nt80085 said:
this is my first attempt at brewing and im using the woodfordes wherry bitter kit.

I followed the instructions on the box. sanitised everything. ive got a clear plastic fermenting tub with lid and a cylinder type airlock. the only thing is i forgot to put some water in the airlock!!

after two days the beer had about an inch foam on top, since then it has dropped right down and the top of the beer is pretty foam free now. the fermenting tub is in the linen cupboard and is a fairly constant 22-24 deg.

i still have about 3 days to go before moving to the secondary fermentation stage(the box says just to bottle up but after reading here i may as well go the extra mile to hopefully make it a better brew).

so what are the chances of my brew actualy coming out ok? ive just topped up the airlock but i guessing its really too late...your thoughts...

cheers in advance for any advice!

Better late than never! Did you use dry yeast? If so fermentation times are fairly quick. RDWHAHB!

yeah it was dry yeast, i put it in a cup of boiled warm water first to activate it.....
im suprised how quickly it seems to of fermented!......

The water in the airlock is just there to help keep bacteria and such out and allowing the release of CO2 at the same time. If you beer is not infected, then adding water to the airlock will help keep it from becoming infected for its remaining time in fermenters.... If you don't see mold or signs of bacteria you are probably OK!

There's very little chance that anything got infected at this point, assuming everything else was OK. A properly filled and sealed airlock beomes much more important during use of your secondary vessel.

NEWBIE!!! I AM LAUGHING AT YOU!!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!

WHAT A STUPID MISTAKE! HOW COULD YOU BE SO DUMB??!!!!!

I did the same thing on my last batch. Three freakin days without an airlock. :(

It's ok though... I'm dumb too. It happens to everyone from time to time... Odds are your beer will be fine. Besides a little case of the farts, my beer came out just fine. Cheers!

nt80085 said:
yeah i did feel a complete tit when i realised what i'd done!

You lucky dog! I love feeling complete tits!!!! But yeah, I know what you mean. There I am, just walking past the carboy one day, I glance down and say, "Hey! Where's the water in that airlock?" Then I think back and say, "Oh! I said I would add the water back after I moved it and then I forgot!"

But it happened to us during primary. It can't be nearly as bad as a poorly-sealing bucket and that's a problem that's pretty much constant for a lot of guys. I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Glad to see this post. My first Extract/specialty Grain brew i.e. first brew period, had been in the primary for about 30 hours when I realized I didn't prime my airlock. I hope it turns out alright.

:(

Glad to see this post. My first Extract/specialty Grain brew i.e. first brew period, had been in the primary for about 30 hours when I realized I didn't prime my airlock. I hope it turns out alright.

:(

Wow... a 6 year old zombie thread. Nice find.

You're beer will be fine. Beer is tougher than most people give it credit for. As long as you don't let your dog pee in the wort, you should be fine.

Wow... a 6 year old zombie thread. Nice find.

You're beer will be fine. Beer is tougher than most people give it credit for. As long as you don't let your dog pee in the wort, you should be fine.

Dog Pee in Wort????? That would be a Bud Light clone recipe huh??? :D

Back