Shed Mountain Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool to see this, came across this at a local coop grocery store recently & thought it was pretty good. Def going to try the recipe to see how they compare!

Here's an all grain conversion from beersmith:

4 Oz Black Patent Malt
6 Oz Chocolate MAlt
8 Oz Carapils/Dextrine (In place of maltodextrine from OP)
1 lb Caramel Wheat malt
2 lb caramel/crystal malt 30L
2lb Wheat malt
10lb Pale Malt (2 row)

I brewed this BIAB in a 10 gallon pot with 7.5 gallons of water which was not enough. The grain absorbed a lot of water. I added a gallon after the mash but I still ended up with only 5 gallons in the fermenter. Next time I'll try with 8.5 gallons strike water.

In place of the vanilla extract I did a one week primary followed by two weeks in secondary. I added two chopped vanilla beans with their seeds to the secondary. Next time I think I'll try just one vanilla bean.

I also hydrated the safale 05.

This beer came out really great. Thanks for the recipe.

Here's an all grain conversion from beersmith:

4 Oz Black Patent Malt
6 Oz Chocolate MAlt
8 Oz Carapils/Dextrine (In place of maltodextrine from OP)
1 lb Caramel Wheat malt
2 lb caramel/crystal malt 30L
2lb Wheat malt
10lb Pale Malt (2 row)

I brewed this BIAB in a 10 gallon pot with 7.5 gallons of water which was not enough. The grain absorbed a lot of water. I added a gallon after the mash but I still ended up with only 5 gallons in the fermenter. Next time I'll try with 8.5 gallons strike water.

In place of the vanilla extract I did a one week primary followed by two weeks in secondary. I added two chopped vanilla beans with their seeds to the secondary. Next time I think I'll try just one vanilla bean.

I also hydrated the safale 05.

This beer came out really great. Thanks for the recipe.

Did you try this side by side with the real thing? How close was it?

Sent from my iPhone using the Home Brew Talk App

Back