Corny Kegs ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymartini

Reaction score
A friend of mine just gave me about 15 corny kegs. They are all the Coca-Cola? style with the pins. Are these good to use or should I look for some Pepsi style kegs? I am bottling right now, but when I get my bar built I plan on doing a kegerator with a two tap setup.

Coke ones are fine, they're just not as popular because there aren't as many of them. They're pin lock instead of ball lock if you need parts.

Nothing wrong with pin locks that 15 freebes can't cure:ban: I'm biased because I got hosed one too many times by a pin lock that didn't lock.

Your buddy just gave you between $225-$450 worth of equipment (depending on shipping and availability) any minor increase in hardware (ball lock is less expensive) is more than offset. Congrats!

olllllo said:
BTW, you may buy supplies for 2 taps, but always have a plan for more JIK.

I'm betting you'll want 3 or 4 within a year.

Yea, I'm sure I will, I haven't even tasted my first batch but am hooked on home brewing.

How do I get these old soda kegs ready for my Homebrew? Is there a thread on cleaning and rebuilding?

dirtymartini said:
Yea, I'm sure I will, I haven't even tasted my first batch but am hooked on home brewing.

How do I get these old soda kegs ready for my Homebrew? Is there a thread on cleaning and rebuilding?

Yeah, there's at least one or two that I know of. You can probably do a search for it.

If you are unsure where your kegs have been, its probably a good idea to strip them down, clean the dip tubes, replace gaskets, etc. One step works good for cleaning. Don't use bleach.

There's several primers available on the internet too if you do some searching.

I just full reconditioned my new (used) coke style (pin lock) kegs. It is really quite easy. I even removed the dip tube and gas filler tube (very easy) to fully clean these as well. Since I had the dip tube out, I also cut about 1/4 inch off the bottom as recommended by my LHBS because the soda companies wanted to get every last bit of syrup from the keg and they did'nt have any sediment in the bottom like we do. Send me a message if you need step by step directions. Happy to help. Also, if you have'nt already, get some food grade rubber grease for the new rubber gaskets and a whole new gasket set (about $2-$3) as mine were pretty worn from sitting so long and I hear it is next to impossible to fully get rid of the soda taste. Nothing ruins beer like an off flavor of Coke or Pepsi...or so I've heard.

cyberjoey80 said:
I just full reconditioned my new (used) coke style (pin lock) kegs. It is really quite easy. I even removed the dip tube and gas filler tube (very easy) to fully clean these as well. Since I had the dip tube out, I also cut about 1/4 inch off the bottom as recommended by my LHBS because the soda companies wanted to get every last bit of syrup from the keg and they did'nt have any sediment in the bottom like we do. Send me a message if you need step by step directions. Happy to help. Also, if you have'nt already, get some food grade rubber grease for the new rubber gaskets and a whole new gasket set (about $2-$3) as mine were pretty worn from sitting so long and I hear it is next to impossible to fully get rid of the soda taste. Nothing ruins beer like an off flavor of Coke or Pepsi...or so I've heard.

Thanks! I'll probably take you up on the help as soon as I get started, Im going to start with a couple at a time. They were sitting in his garage for quite some time, but quite a few still had lots of pressure in them. I guess I'll owe him some Homebrew samples for all these kegs!

:cross: Yeah, I would just fill one with a good brew and take it to his house...and maybe see if he has any other kegs.
Hit me up whenever your ready.
Things you will need:
Grease (food grade, tasteless, should have at LHBS)
Adjustable wrench
Pair of needlenose (to pull the tube out with)
hack saw(if you want to cut bottom 1/4" of tube off) and WD40 to help the blade cut through clean.

Oh yeah, I would go to you LHBS and pickup a brush to clean the inside of the pickup tube with. It looks like a very long coat hanger (usually rolled up) with bristles on the last 8-10 inches. I used this to clean the gas inlet tube and the pickup tube. I know this sounds involved but really it is easy. This was my first keg and I had all new seals and cleaned tubes in under 30 min.

Back