I make wine, what else do I need to make beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanomed

Reaction score
I have lots of wine making equipment, what else do I need to make a 5 gal batch of beer?

Depends if you are making extract or all grain. Not sure what equipment you have for wine-making but if you are making extract (with steeping grains), you will need a large stock pot (4 gallons), a fermenter, grain bag, hydrometer, airlock, capper, bottles and caps.

If you want to make All-grain beer you will need a pot large enough to boil 5.5-6 gallons of liquid and also a mash tun.

For a beginner's extract batch, ingredients and water are all you would(assuming you have a pot large enough to boil pasta and a stove top)

Bottles and caps. And Starsan IMO.

That is for extract brewing. To do All Grain you would need a pot large enough to boil 5 gallons, and a burner big enough, plus a Mash Tun, which could be made from a cooler, some copper tubing, and a spigot.

You might want to add a chiller, made from 25' of copper tube and a couple of connectors to the mix, or a particular plastic jug if you want to try "no-chill" brewing.

Welcome :mug:
I agree with the earlier comments.
Basically, for an extract recipe, if you can get a pot that you can safely boil 3 gal without boiling over, say a 4-4.5 gal pot, and a way to strain the hops out when you add to the fermenter, you should be good.

Welcome....

All you need is a credit card.:)

Go online or to you local LHBS and get 1or2 cans of hopped extract beer mix in a can. Follow the instructions. All you really need you dont have are 5 gallons worth of prytop beer bottles, caps, and a hand capper. If you have them ;) you could even use champagne bottles.

While your waiting during fermentation read as much of "HowToBrew" as stated above and you'll learn how to improve/complicate eveything you just did.

Thank you all for your kind reply's I found a BYO article and will be trying that soon!

I

Back