Good water profile for a hoppy amber.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlpred55

Reaction score
As the thread title says. I need help from the experts. I want it to be balanced towards hoppy but still allow my malt to backbone it. I have always brewed my amber using my water which is:
Ca- 35
Mg- 22
Na- 36
SO4- 59
Cl- 37
HCO3- 124
Alkalinity- 86

They have been good but really quite balanced, not overly malty or hoppy, just kind of well rounded flavors. Any suggestions or profiles. The good thing is I don't have to screw with the alklinity because I am on for the SRM. With my Pale Ales, I put 6 grams of gypsum along with some chalk but I cannot remember how much, something like 1.3 grams. It is a hybrid of Mosher's Ideal Pale Ale with a little less extreme ratios. Any help with the Amber Ale profile? Am I good as is or what? Thanks

Since nobody knows I guess I will be the first to come up with one. My plan is to leave everything the way it is and adjust with enough gypsum to bring my SO4 to 150 and then leave the rest as is. My SRM ends up being good for 9-14 the recipe falls at around 11 or 12 so I am right in the middle there. I will report back if it has improved my beer. I can even do a side by side with the old profile. If it is an improvement, then I will be a hero I guess.

I brew my IPAs with this. Haven't had a stinker yet:

Ca: 108
Mg: 13
Na: 10
Cl: 71
SO4: 137
CaCO3: 89
Cl/SO4 ratio: 0.52

how did this turn out? brewing a hoppy amber this weekend.

That batch is 10 weeks old and it turned out awesome! I named it Reject Red Ale b/c it tastes almost exactly how I would think Sierra Nevada would brew a red ale, then promply reject it b/c it was not hoppy enough! Had that distinct flavor that I get from there beer. I can post the complete water profile but it ended up a little different than what I had posted but close enough. I brewed another Amber recently using an even more souped up Cl/SO4 ratio and it seems so far to be great as well. No more round flavors, good distinct malt and hops flavors. I think my Cl/SO4 ratio on the first one was .17 now I up the CL a bit to 50 or so and try to hit 200-250 on my SO4 which puts my ratio at around .025-.028 (I think). I actually used this on both the amber, a pale ale and an IPA.

Actually now looking at jkarp's post his is close to mine- I am a little less on the CL and a little more on the SO4. The Ca is the same and the rest is very close. Good Brewing!

Back