Will this work as a kegerator?/available sizes of kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantose

Reaction score
I've got a minifridge that I picked up for free. Inside measurements are 16x8x29 not including a back section that has a step up. Subtracting room for shelf guides and cooling plate I get 15x8x24 The cooling plate can probably be bent down into the back where there is extra room (wont subtract from other measurements)

Do they make kegs with an 8 inch diameter? How much clearance do I need above the keg in this kind of setup?

Cornies are arround 9-9.5 inches in diameter.

It sounds tall enough. 2 inches too narrow for 2, and too shallow for 1.

You might get one corny in that fridge if you strip the internal panel off the door and also move the cooling plate slightly. I actually have a small fridge like this and considered an attempt at converting it...problem is you nearly need to destroy the fridge to be of any use as a single keg unit.

Oh, and if you kink or break the cooling plate...toss the fridge...up to you??

I'm conservative on the 8 inch depth and could trim out the shelves on the door to get some more room I measured just to where the shelf stops so that's just a minimum. I'm wondering if I could kiddy corner a 3 gal in the back on the step up with a 5 gal in front.

I take it no one has seen any 8 inch diameter kegs.

Only the 1gal minikegs....

If youcan clear room on the floor and have room on the step for a 3g also, you are going to be running out of room for you 5lb tank.

I would be breaking out some cardboard, and making a model of the fridge at this point, but I am a nerd like that.

I think I'll just keep it as a beer fridge for now and pick up a chest freezer to convert later.

Latest posts

Back