Do I have enough Wheat in this Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
So I was going to make a weissbier using 6lbs of LME.. northernbrewer.com sells 6lb of this, but its wheat malt (65%) and pale malt (35%).

Is this too much wheat? Do I need to ad some more grains for this?

maybe 1 lb of pale malt?

No, wheat extract is usually a blend that is perfect for using straight in a wheat/weiss beer.

So would 6lbs be too little.

I probably need another 0.60lbs of LME or something else in order to make a good 5 gallons right?

Tradidional wheat ales contain at least 50% wheat malt minimum. That ratio is great.

What gravity are you shooting for? 6lbs of extract will give you an OG of around 1.043. Depending on your ferment, it will be about 4.5%ABV.

Im looking for an OG of around 1.050 I guess Im being lazy .. I have beersmith at home and can use that. I'll see how much more DME I'd have to throw in.

So 6lbs wheat LME (65/35) is good maybe throw in 1oz of Hallertauer (60min).. WLP300?

Im basically looking for a decent cheap recipe for a weissbier. Northernbrewer sells 6lbs of LME for $15. Can't get cheaper than that.

I just made a wheat beer two weeks ago with 6lbs of wheat DME and i added a pound of honey at flameout and got an OG of 1.062. I don't know exactly what the conversion is for DME vs LME... I'd have to look it up, but I'm guessing that 6lbs of DME would be equal to about 7.5lbs of LME.

Back