Water keeps shooting out of my sight glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I installed a sight glass on my HLT and it keeps getting air bubbles in it which can't rise fast enough and every few seconds about a tbs of water squirts out the top! I drilled the hole for it as low as I could so I could measure small amounts of water, and I'm thinking that's why. The water is nowhere near boiling yet, it started happening about 30 seconds after I lit the burner. Is this common, and is there an easy solution that I'm missing? This is annoying.

Well, offsetting the pot so that the sight glass is a little further from the burner seems to have it under control. Still impossible to get a good reading while the heat is on, but that's ok since I fill it then heat it.

You might be able to insert a needle/wire down the top of the sight glass. the needle should pop the bubbles and prevent them from bubbling out.
Maybe try a paper clip to test the idea.

Create a deflector under the elbow with a cm or 2 of space. That oughta keep the heat away......

Tin foil is a quick solution....whatever permanent solution you choose can mimick the tin foil.

I had the exact problem but it was from boil bubbles easily entering from inside. The fix was putting a short nipple on the inside to make the bubbles have a harder time getting into the fitting. Not a single problem now. Of course, a small heat shield is a decent idea too if you think the bubbles are forming inside the tube itself.

Back