Loud Stirbar Simple Fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
Figured I'd post my simple fix for a loud stir bar. I have a DIY stir plate and a flat bottomed glass jar for my starters. The rattling drives me nuts. I had some leftover rubber rings from Lowes that fit right over the bar. Two in the center and two on opposite ends. Now it runs silent. Someone probably came up with a fix like this before, but either way if you have a noise issue try it out.

O-rings can be found in Lowes in the plumbing section near the sink/drain isle. The old packaging has since been lost but they appear to be 1cm ID. I would take the stir bar in with you and try some out. I believe the rings only cost 1-2$ for around ten.

Hope this simple fix is useful to some of you. It also seems to stop the plate from throwing the bar.

image-621764525.jpg image-2444282118.jpg

Sounds like a good enough idea. Does it throw or drag at all?

Very little drag, but not really noticeable. If you notice it, simply turn it up a notch. Mine works great on low. For me, it helps prevent a throw too.

I've never had to use anything special to quiet the stirplate... The only thing I occasionally do is to move the flask slightly left-right-front-rear until I find the sweet spot where it makes little to no noise.

MC

I do the same as the canuck above me :D

Unfortunately i'm cheap and use a tall vase-style glass which is slim. There is no sweet spot...I have tried a hundred times to find it (first time i've had to use that sentence ;)).

Lol but I realize I should have a better flask, but for now this works and might help the people having these issues.

I went to a local orthodontist office, got some rubber bands for free, and did the same thing

Back