Is Oxy Clean Free safe for kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am dismantling and cleaning all of my kegs when they get empty and I am wondering if I can soak the kegs and the parts in an Oxy Clean Free solution. I know that regular Oxy Clean is not considered safe because it has chlorine in it, but Oxy Clean Free is supposed to be free of chlorine. Anybody have any experience with this?

To the best of my knowledge, none of the OxyClean formulations contain chlorine. I've been using it a long time for all kind of soaking, and cleaning. Works great on Stainless!

Interesting. On the front of the Oxy Clean Free package in big letters it say "Chlorine Free!". I never actually bothered to check and see if regular Oxy Clean had chlorine in it, I just assumed that since they made such a big deal about Free being chlorine free, that the regular had chlorine in it.

If you have used it with success, that is good enough for me.

Thanks.

I use it for cleaning my stainless corny kegs all the time. Just don't soak them too long (say for a day or more) because you might get a white, mineral-like film developing on the surface of the keg (it takes something acidic like vinegar or strong Star San to get it off).

I only cleaned one keg today (the only one that was empty) and the Oxy Clean Free worked fantastic. Per usual, the folks on here are great for answering a quick question. Thanks again.

Back