What is Oxi-Clean safe on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnake

Reaction score
Right now I've only used it on bottles to clean and been informed it's great to let a BB soak in overnight and it cleans it up perfectly.

My main wonder is, is it safe on Stainless Steel pots for some soak time?

What about clear vinyl hoses and plastic racking canes?

I use it to clean my vinyl tubing and plastic components like airlocks. Does a great job.

I heard to limit it's contact with aluminum because of it could oxidize it.

i use it to clean EVERYTHING! but as someone hinted, don't let it soak in aluminum, keep contact time limited. and thoroughly rinse it out.

I heard to limit it's contact with aluminum because of it could oxidize it.

I was thinking of that last night when I was about to soak my pot in oxi-clean. I opted out of it for now though until I know more. Glass and plastic I'd have no problem soaking, but for now, I'm concerned with using it on my stainless brew pot.

it won't hurt the stainless steel. i'd not go longer than a 24 hr soak though. once it starts sedimentation, it can etch even glass in my experience.

it won't hurt the stainless steel. i'd not go longer than a 24 hr soak though. once it starts sedimentation, it can etch even glass in my experience.

Well, I talked to a Mech Eng and he feels the oxidation properties of oxi-clean could potentially leech the chromium out of stainless, especially if it's not high chromium stainless.

I'm confused if that's correct though because the chromium is suppose to oxidize on the surface of stainless to protect it from oxidation. Wouldn't an oxidizing chemical like oxiclean just make that layer thicker until it just stopped forming unless the surface was scratched/cracked/damaged?

I decided to test it, I have a cheap stainless steel spoon in a solution of oxi-clean. Going to send it on a few 24 hour soaks this week and see what happens.

I'd be interested in your results. How are you going to measure the chromium layer and do you have another stainless spoon for a control?

i'm no chemist etc. i've left drinking glasses soaking in oxiclean longer than 24 hours and could not get the sediment layer off them. i've soaked my kettle which is .304 ss iirc for 24hrs at a spell, and have had no oxidation, or tranishing of the finish. i've not gone longer than 24 hrs though... let me know what happens to the spoon.

I'd be interested in your results. How are you going to measure the chromium layer and do you have another stainless spoon for a control?

I don't have anything to measure it. I'm just going to leave it in the solution for 24, leave it out for a day, leave it in, etc. and just monitor the surface condition (pitting, rust spots). I'll do it a few times. I've got it in a small container so it's not using much oxi-clean so I can keep going at it. It's a cheap stamped stainless steel spoon. Probably not of any quality stainless so it's chromium content is probably pretty low. If it can take this for awhile, then a quality stainless steel pot should be able to handle it no problem.

Not to continue resurrection of a zombie thread, but I use oxi-clean in my kitchen saucepans overnight to remove burnt on stains and it works like magic. I only use low concentrations (only to the line 1 on the included scoop). Doing this has taken the tarnish off my stainless pans and i think its fine for SS. I only go beyond hot water and a wet rag on my hot side equipment once in a while when making an extra sticky mash (like my pumpkin ale) or my boil kettle after an IPA.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back