American IPA Noggin Splitter IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 68*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 40*
Tasting Notes
Nice citrus notes, very similar to (to me anyways) Stone Levitation
A few weeks ago, my 10 year old son fell and busted his head open. I ended up spending 3 hours with my ex-wife in an emergency room with my son. In an attempt to avoid talking to my ex-wife, I decided to design a new beer. This is the beer that I designed, thus, I named it Noggin Splitter IPA. It's a great beer, and I would have to say it's probably the best one I've brewed to date!! It's been a while since I've had Stone Levitation, but as far as I can recall it tastes pretty close to that! Here it is:

Grainbill:
9# 2-Row (US)
2# White Wheat
1# Crystal 60L
.5# CaraPils

Hop schedule:
Columbus 14.4% 1 oz @ 60 min
Citra 13.4% .5 oz @ 15 min
Citra 13.4% .25 oz @ 5 min
Citra 13.4% .25 oz @ flameout
Citra 13.4% 3 oz dryhop for 7 days

Finings:
Irish Moss @ 15 min
Gelatin in secondary for 7 days

Mash:
16 qts @ 152* for 60 min

Sparge (double):
8.5 qts @ 185* Stir, vorlauf, drain
8.5 qts @ 185* Stir, vorlauf, drain

After primary fermentation, I transferred to secondary, added the 3 oz of dry hops, and crashed to 40*. After 1 week, I took the hops out, added gelatin, and let set for another week and then kegged. This is an amazingly good beer. Even SWMBO, who is a recently converted "good beer" drinker, really like this one!!

EDIT: Just noticed I posted the wrong yeast!! (Apparently I had one too many pints of this before posting the recipe!!) The yeast should be Wyeast 1450, Dennys Favorite 50.

IMG952171.jpg

Sounds really tasty. 3oz of citra dry hop makes a hell of an aromatic brew. Your recipe says 9.2 SRM, but with a full pound of crystal 60, would you say it's a true 9.2 or is it darker than that?

That should say 9.4, not that that's a huge difference, but yeah I would say its close to that. Yes, the Citra aroma is amazing!!

Just received 1st out of 19 entries in IPA at a local homebrew competition with this recipe! Scored 39/50. Also took 2nd in another competition, but haven't gotten the score back on that one yet. I'm pretty pleased, first IPA, first competition!

Awesome, congratulations. You have me wanting to use a considerable amount of white wheat in a recipe now. I've never used more than 8 oz or so. How would you say that 2# contributes to the beer?

Awesome, congratulations. You have me wanting to use a considerable amount of white wheat in a recipe now. I've never used more than 8 oz or so. How would you say that 2# contributes to the beer?

This was my first attempt at an IPA, and I just added the wheat for the helluvit. I wasn't really sure what the outcome would be. But, I will say that this beer had great head retention, and almost a creamy mouthfeel. Both judges commented on a "hint of garlic/onion" which one of the judges attributed to possibly being from the hops. I've been doing some research, but I haven't heard of anyone getting onion/garlic from Citra. So, I'm trying to figure out where that came from.

The grain bill is awesome on this. I just brewed up a batch tonight but I added 5 quartered, roasted and vodka soaked jalapeños at flame out. I can't wait to try it!

Back