GOOD on ROKU STREAMING

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are about to nix TW cable, we have been test driving the Roku. I have to say I'm surprised, I don't think I will miss cable.

Sorry to further derail your thread CD, but I have a technical question about my streaming picture quality. We have one Roku 2XD and have 2 Samsung TV's, a 1080p and a 720p. I have tried the Roku on bith units and have found a vast difference in picture quality.

My issue is that the picture quality on the 720p is far more appealing to the eye. It is difficult to describe but the streaming picture on the 1080p unit looks like a home video. The picture (for the lack of better terms) looks too sharp, color and contrast a way off, no warmth to the picture. We have the same issue with dvds on the 1080p. As for the HD feed from the cable on the same TV looks great.

I have tried changing the TVs' "Mode" with little change in the 4 settings. I'm betting this should be an easy fix but I have searched the streaming forum(s) and found nothing.

I figured out the issue. I reversed the position of the cable feed and the Roku box, I place the Roku cable in the first position HDMI/DVI and it looks perfect! Now the cable feed in #2 position which is marked HDMI (no DVI) look degraded. Is this normal or do I have a bad port?

bad67z said:
I figured out the issue. I reversed the position of the cable feed and the Roku box, I place the Roku cable in the first position HDMI/DVI and it looks perfect! Now the cable feed in #2 position which is marked HDMI (no DVI) look degraded. Is this normal or do I have a bad port?

They should both be 1080 if they are HDMI ports no? I have not seen lesser quality HDMI secondary ports so I would guess there's an issue with cabling or the port.

PortageValleyHops said:
They should both be 1080 if they are HDMI ports no? I have not seen lesser quality HDMI secondary ports so I would guess there's an issue with cabling or the port.

I think this is a streaming issue. Isn't the definition defined by the avail bandwidth? It switches back and forth doesn't it?

Just got me a ROKU3 so to all of you that have been using the ROKU for a while, give me the low down! what do I need to put on it? Private channels? hacks for better FREE content? I;m excited to get this thing going so I'll be grabbing a new HDMI cable on my way home from work today so I can hook it all up.

Netflix is the only "PAY" channel i can't do without. Amazon Prime I pay for, but would lose if it raised price or lost any quality.

PBS is awesome, Nowheremantv and Justintv have nice mixes of different stuff.

Thanks for resurrecting this! I half heartedly looked for it since the netflix was getting bogged with ROKU questions.

PLEASE KEEP TECHY STUFF TO A MINIMUM. IT KILLED THIS THREAD QUICK

I recently watched Wreckit Ralph with my son on amazon. It was sincerely AWESOME. I couldn't believe that it was so good.

The "Does science refute God" debate on PBS was enlightening.

SuperTroopers was also waaaaay better than expected on amazon.

Dailymotion is another "channel" I like alot on Roku, I subscribe to a couple of users that post a lot of great BBC cooking and History programing. If you register (free) with dailymotion, you can then have the programming of those you subscribe/favorite on the Roku.

I really like zodiacza and educkling. If you like food, history or BBC programming sub to them. I've also found a lot of other full episodes or documentaries, especially from the BBC and the Australian Broadcasting Company on Dailymotion, but you have to search.

Dailymotion is another "channel" I like alot on Roku, I subscribe to a couple of users that post a lot of great BBC cooking and History programing. If you register (free) with dailymotion, you can then have the programming of those you subscribe/favorite on the Roku.

I really like zodiacza and educkling. If you like food, history or BBC programming sub to them. I've also found a lot of other full episodes or documentaries, especially from the BBC and the Australian Broadcasting Company on Dailymotion, but you have to search.

There is a lot to sort through, info like this is priceless! Thanks.

Although I have a lot of the free old/open source movie channels like Popcorn flicks, I end up pretty much sticking to Daily Motion, Amazon Prime, Justin TV, Tune In (to listen to radiostations I like, that sound better digitally rather than over the air,) Crackle and PLEX to stream/watch Youtube and other video content from the web. You have to have the plex media server software loaded on your laptop or computer, and that allows you to send youtube and other web video content to the roku box.

Nice, I'll be looking into all of this!

Are a lot if the so called private channels unreliable?

Been kinda wanting to drastically scale back my directv bill and was hoping the roku would help me get some of the stuff I like to watch from the premiums like game of thrones, dexter, californication, etc. without needing to wait for it all to come out Netflix or similar. Am I just dreaming here?

Didn't even realize I totally necroposted this thread.

Although I have a lot of the free old/open source movie channels like Popcorn flicks, I end up pretty much sticking to Daily Motion, Amazon Prime, Justin TV, Tune In (to listen to radiostations I like, that sound better digitally rather than over the air,) Crackle and PLEX to stream/watch Youtube and other video content from the web. You have to have the plex media server software loaded on your laptop or computer, and that allows you to send youtube and other web video content to the roku box.

The wii has a decent youtube channel. I have plex but yet to use it.

Nice, I'll be looking into all of this!

Are a lot if the so called private channels unreliable?

Been kinda wanting to drastically scale back my directv bill and was hoping the roku would help me get some of the stuff I like to watch from the premiums like game of thrones, dexter, californication, etc. without needing to wait for it all to come out Netflix or similar. Am I just dreaming here?

Didn't even realize I totally necroposted this thread.

Premium TV is gonna be next day PPV on amazon. Typically 1.99/episode.

I am OK with this for a few key shows (Falling Skies, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy) and figure that the soct is still far less than cable.

cheezydemon3 said:
The wii has a decent youtube channel. I have plex but yet to use it.

Premium TV is gonna be next day PPV on amazon. Typically 1.99/episode.

I am OK with this for a few key shows (Falling Skies, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy) and figure that the soct is still far less than cable.

Good to know. I could see that adding up pretty quick though for anything more than a couple of shows.

I don't know what it is bit I seem to be more comfortable spending larger dollar amounts occasionally than smaller amounts all the time. This is why I refuse to buy any digital only form of music (if I bought it I should be able to hold it or see it in person). I guess i just hate paying to download things. I'm sure I will get plenty of use out of it regardless but I wax hoping to also stream some of these shows for free as opposed to buying them as I go.

got a Roku . do not use it although it does have a lot of channels . got a smart TV . got Amazon Prime . 79 a year free instant prime video and free 2 day shipping on eligible items . Worth the 79 . Already recouped my cash in 2 day shipping .

I hate to say it, but anymore you need netflix and prime.

Well worth the minimal costs, and as they do battle and undercut, different series move from one to the other....:(

It was better when Netflix was undisputedly better, but Prime has their number and is trying like hell to kill them.....

That said, they are far from going under. They still have TONS of content I will not do without.

I personally can never find anything I want to watch on Netflix, but they have a great selection of kids shows. Being able to show my son old Loony Toons is well worth the $8 a month

I personally can never find anything I want to watch on Netflix, but they have a great selection of kids shows. Being able to show my son old Loony Toons is well worth the $8 a month

Different strokes!!

If you are looking for something specific, amazon or vudu PAY PER is the way to go.

If you want to find something but you are not sure what, netflix is virtually botttomless.

O
X
BSG
Breaking Bad
S of A
it goes on and on.

I like Netflix . I do pay for it on occasion when certain shows are there I want to watch . Also their DVD in the mail thing was quite nice when I used to use that .
Old Loony Tunes ! the best thing ever .

Different strokes!!

If you are looking for something specific, amazon or vudu PAY PER is the way to go.

If you want to find something but you are not sure what, netflix is virtually botttomless.

O
X
BSG
Breaking Bad
S of A
it goes on and on.

Yeah if I was using it for TV I'd agree with you, but I use sickbeard + sab + newsgroups and stream that via Plex to my Roku for any TV I want to watch.

Mostly it's just I have so little tv time these days that I always have a backlog of shows to watch so netflix is really only used by my kid.

My secret santa got me a Roku 2XS for Christmas, and I hooked it up yesterday.

For those of you who watch stuff via DailyMotion and JustinTV, how the heck do you find stuff/channels to watch? I spent a while trying to find things to watch, but it sort of seems like you just have to "know" or get recommendations.

So...perhaps this is me soliciting recommendations?

So far as JustinTV is concerned, for my wife's sake I spent some time browsing through the streams and found some that were Japanese shows. There's one stream that appears to just be TBS (Tokyo Broadcast System) 24/7, which is actually pretty cool.

There's another stream that does nothing but 24/7 Downtown (a comedy show/group) which is what we've been watching most of the time on there. Someone went to the trouble of translating everything that's on that stream, so even if you don't speak Japanese. I highly recommend it because they do some really funny stuff.

The stream is called ducktoaster. Or maybe that is who is running the stream?
Anyway it's worth watching, although occasionally there are dull spots they also do a lot of funny stuff too.

Here's a sample from youtube:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back