First Brew Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpogo

Reaction score
All my equipment arrived for my first brew. I'm doing EdWort's Apfelwein recipe, but I have a few questions to help it go smoother.

I spoke to a more experienced brewer than myself about washing and here is what he suggested:

I have a cat so I plan on keeping her out of the kitchen as I can see fur landing in a fermenter to be bad news.

1. Clean kitchen, countertops, and anything that I may touch or may touch the equipment.

2. Clean all the equipment with soap and water and rinse.

3. Then use the no rinse sanitizer that came with my equipment and put that sanitizer water in the "ale pale" along with the top to my carboy and the airlock(3 piece) and the funnel.

4. My friend suggested rinsing even though it is no rinse. good idea?

5. Follow EdWort's instructions.

One question I have about the ed wort instructions is the yeast. He says to just pore it down the funnel followed by some apple juice. I don't have to "pitch" this or anything? Should I take the yeast out of the refridgerator while I clean to let it warm up to room temperature? Also(I'm at work so this may be a silly question I can't see the airlock from here) how full do I fill the airlock with vodka? I think that covers all of my major concerns.

gpogo said:
All my equipment arrived for my first brew. I'm doing EdWort's Apfelwein recipe, but I have a few questions to help it go smoother.

I spoke to a more experienced brewer than myself about washing and here is what he suggested:

I have a cat so I plan on keeping her out of the kitchen as I can see fur landing in a fermenter to be bad news.

1. Clean kitchen, countertops, and anything that I may touch or may touch the equipment.

2. Clean all the equipment with soap and water and rinse.

3. Then use the no rinse sanitizer that came with my equipment and put that sanitizer water in the "ale pale" along with the top to my carboy and the airlock(3 piece) and the funnel.

4. My friend suggested rinsing even though it is no rinse. good idea?

5. Follow EdWort's instructions.

One question I have about the ed wort instructions is the yeast. He says to just pore it down the funnel followed by some apple juice. I don't have to "pitch" this or anything? Should I take the yeast out of the refridgerator while I clean to let it warm up to room temperature? Also(I'm at work so this may be a silly question I can't see the airlock from here) how full do I fill the airlock with vodka? I think that covers all of my major concerns.
Sounds like you're ready.

The airlock has a hard to see line, about 2/3rds full.

Just drop the yeast in dry, you can take it out of the fridge now. Dry yeast really doesn't need to be chilled for short durations.

Don't forget to take a hydrometer reading and get ready for a lengthy fermentation.

if the sanitizer is no rinse...DO NOT RINSE. if you rinse, you reintroduce bacteria, mold spores and wild yeast present in your tap water.

One more question, after sanitizing do I need to wait for it to dry or can I just get one with the apfelwein making?

gpogo said:
One more question, after sanitizing do I need to wait for it to dry or can I just get one with the apfelwein making?

No need to dry. Use it wet and foamy if applicable.

Well thanks for your help. Especially thanks to EdWort for this great recipe. Tonight went alright, not as smoothly as hoped. Though it is a first brew so it was as smooth as I think it could have went.

Anyways here it is set up in a closet:
day01.JPG

That was at 9:43pm CST. Now at 1:43 there is a bit of bubbles on the top, though the airlock is not yet bubbling. Any idea about how long that should take to start going?

i think mine took 24 hours or so before it became good and vigorous, but I wasn't watching it the whole time either. Just kinda went to work and came back home and poof! bubbles everywhere, sounded like dumping pop rocks in a coke. Oh, and don't worry about the sulfury smell that will soon be upon you....

Question for gpogo, is the picture you submitted with you last post your primary fermenter? If so, the 3-piece airlock will not handle a vigorous fermentation and karausen that forms. You might want to consider a blow-off tube.:mug:

jackmaxcy said:
Question for gpogo, is the picture you submitted with you last post your primary fermenter? If so, the 3-piece airlock will not handle a vigorous fermentation and karausen that forms. You might want to consider a blow-off tube.:mug:

Apfelwein made with the montrachet yeast will not form any krausen. You will see tiny bubbles on the surface and that's it. That airlock will work, just check it everyday during peak fermentation to make sure it is not evaporating too fast.

Airlock still isn't bubbling yet. The juice has clouded though and if I get close to it I see bubbles rising along the sides, both of which I think are good signs.

At the top there is a layer of bubbles that have grew since last night.
day02a.jpg

day 2 at 3pm CST​

Back