What size brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbysdad2006

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been brewing beer in the Mr Beer kits for a little while now and want to move up to 5 gal batches. My question is what size brew pot do i need? I plan on doing extracts and as I get better want to go to all grain. I also have a glass top stove and was wandering about getting a turkey fryer kit for the burner, good idea? Thanks in advance. You guys are all great here!!:rockin:

In your case,the turkey frier burner & kettle may be your best bet. Or a 20qt (5G) SS kettle with a double walled bottom so it sits flat on the glass cooktop.

If you're going to be doing full boils, you'll need a 7-8 gallon kettle. I do full boil, 5 gallon batches, and bring between 6.5-7 gallons of wort to my 8 gallon brew kettle. Its a little tight, but I dont do a vigorous boil, so I dont worry about boil overs much. If you're not doing full boils yet, you wont need all that room. But, its better to buy one kettle instead of 2, especially if you will be doing all grain soon enough.

I've only been brewing for a little while, but got good advice from others that have been brewing longer than I have. I have a 10 gallon brew pot and like it because even though I'm only using 6 gallons of water, the extra space really helps to avoid boil-overs. I know many people say only stainless steel, but I went aluminum and haven't had a problem. Also, should I switch to all-grain, there is enough room in there for that too. If I'd known then what I know now, which is thinking about doing double batches, I'd have gone for a 15-gallon kettle, but you also have to consider cost. As for a burner, I've only used a 210K BTU banjo burner. It's a little more expensive than the 80K BTU on, but for $20-30 more, it saves a lot of time reaching a boil.

If you are doing a full volume boil, I'd say 8 gallons is the minimum I'd go with and 10 would be better. You are going to need to start with 6-7 gallons to finish with 5+, so 8 is cutting it pretty close.

I love my 10 gal. Aluminium pot. It will allow you to easily do all grain brew in a bag without purchasing extra equipment. Mine was $40 shipped from ebay. (Another $15 for the lid.)

I have a 6 gallon pot that actually holds 7ish if you filled it to the brim. I tried a full boil with 6 gallons and it boiled over on me, so if I had it to do again I would have bought an 8 or 10 gallon.

We have a 4G & a 5 gallon SS BK's for our partial boils. Good for anything from extract to partial mash. We usually do 2.5-3 gallon boils with no more than about 1 quart boil off. We make 5 to 6 gallon batches with these. The 4 gallon seems to boil much easier on the large electric burners due to matching the diameter of the BK to the burner.
If you want to do full boils,the stove won't be hot enough to get it to a boil quickly. But for what I started with to what will be,the 4 or 5 gallon will be plenty since partial boils work for extract to partial mash.

Ok. When u guys say full boil, you mean all grain brewing right. I have a chance to get a 4 gal as pot for like $12. Good deal?

No. Full boil means boiling the full volume going into the fermenter plus a gallon or so for boil off during the 60 minute boil. But for partial boils of 2.5-3 gallons,the 4 gallon SSBK we have boils more readilly on the stove top than the wider 5 gallon BK we also have. So the 4 gallon would be great for some timeto come,trust me. If you don't have room for a 8G BK on the stove or enough BTU's,don't sweat it. You can go to big kettles & turkey burners when you go to full boils.

Ahhh! Ok. I get it thanks. So the 4 gal is big enough. What the difference in quality of the beer between partial and full boil? Is there any?

I think the difference is minimal. Partial boil beers can be just as good with good brewing practices. Ferment temp & sanitation being the major ones.

I have a 5G BK and wish I had a 10. I also picked up a turkey fryer cheap. If I didn't have the fryer, I'd probably stick with 5G, but even for partial boils I wouldn't go any smaller.

That said, I'm going to try a 1G AG batch this weekend, and I'm sure my 5G will be more than enough.

I have a 5G BK and wish I had a 10. I also picked up a turkey fryer cheap. If I didn't have the fryer, I'd probably stick with 5G, but even for partial boils I wouldn't go any smaller.

That said, I'm going to try a 1G AG batch this weekend, and I'm sure my 5G will be more than enough.

Back