Wild hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinderbike

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am posting to (hopefully) ensure successful transplant of some wild hops I found growing on the side of the road.

Here is the picture - I think I got a rhizome, I found a shoot and just dug 'til I found some rhizome-ish looking stuff and clipped it from the main plant.

I put it in a bucket about 3" down and watered the soil, if anyone has suggestions or wants to tell me I did it wrong, let me know. I'd like to see this thing live.

hoprhizome.jpg

Bueller? Bueller?

I figure if nobody is replying I'm in the clear. The leafs seem to be wilting but the bine that was attached is still green, just wanting to make sure I'm not killing it.

I cut wild hops 2 years ago in july and replanted at my house, last year they did ok, this year they are doing great, as long as you have a section with a bine on it keep it well watered and you might get new growth this year (maybe not) it will try to put all its energy into root development.

I don't see any root growth. Could have been caused by how you dug it up but the lack of roots will make it a lot more difficult to get it established.

One other thing to consider is that the plant may be male, in which case it won't grow hop flowers and might pollinate any other hops you may have.

I don't see any root growth. Could have been caused by how you dug it up but the lack of roots will make it a lot more difficult to get it established.

One other thing to consider is that the plant may be male, in which case it won't grow hop flowers and might pollinate any other hops you may have.

There's a few roots, not many. I dusted it lightly with rooting powder, so here's hoping.

I know for a fact it's a female, I could see last year's growth and they were clearly cones. I'm not expecting success with this cutting, but considering how harsh the weather can be in rural Nevada, and it growing out in the middle of nowhere, I am hoping it'll make it.

I cut wild hops 2 years ago in july and replanted at my house, last year they did ok, this year they are doing great, as long as you have a section with a bine on it keep it well watered and you might get new growth this year (maybe not) it will try to put all its energy into root development.
Yeah, the bine is there, the leaves on it seem to be dead but the bine itself is still green and not wilted.

Back