And the award for most ghetto fermentation chamber of the year goes to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
Holla :ban:

This'll have to do until I get clearance from SWMBO to buy a chest freezer.

fermentchamber.jpg

Hahahahaha ... I love it. And well done putting it right next to the toilet. SWMBO should get sick of seeing that pretty quick ... I predict you'll get the thumbs-up for the freezer in no time.

I predict you'll get the thumbs-up for the freezer in no time.

PRECISELY! If all goes according to plan, I image a conversation going something like.. "... I know babe, the beer doesn't like you pooping next to it either. If I had a chest freezer, it'd go in the man room (garage) and you wouldn't even know it was there."

I know it's only January but you have my vote for not only "ghetto fermentation chamber of the year" but also "post of the year" Well done

Oh the horror of potential electrocution. And I hope this is a second/infrequently used bathroom. If not, you all are going to smell rank when ferm is complete.
Props for the ingenious idea however, and the (hopefully) sure fire way to get SWMBO to permit a nominal and efficient upgrade to a chest fridge. Good luck my friend.

Oh the horror of potential electrocution. And I hope this is a second/infrequently used bathroom. If not, you all are going to smell rank when ferm is complete.
Props for the ingenious idea however, and the (hopefully) sure fire way to get SWMBO to permit a nominal and efficient upgrade to a chest fridge. Good luck my friend.

Where else can you do business? Homebrewers can straighten curls with our gas.

Why not put the pond pump in the tank, wouldn't have to worry about the pump running dry. It would require a second pump to get the water back to the tank. Just saying.

Would never fly at my place because SWMBO already said no.

Wow, thats ingenuity for you. You need to look at your local Bulletin Board mag and convince her its worth it, lmao. I got a 19cu ft. for $75. Its either that or she looks at that everytime she sits on that toilet.

Homercidal said:
Simply...

Awesome!

(But FTR I would never get any reading done with a fermenter to stare at in there...)

SWMBO asks all the time, what's taking so long? My response "timing bubbles, be out in a minute." It's the one room in the house that never sees temps above 62°. Have 20 gallons fermenting in there now.

Haha nice..I'm surprised you're allowed to do that but not get a chest freezer haha

Here is my ghetto fermenter..a little less cluttered :D

open.jpg

closed_front.jpg

2 totes for $20, lined the bottoms with blue board, and the entire inside with reflectix and put 3-4 frozen water bottles in there with the carboy. It would hold temps perfectly between 64-65 for 12 hours before I had to change out the frozen water bottles...and that was with my ambient house temp being around 74-75. I taped a probe thermometer to the outside with the probe taped to the side of the carboy so I could keep an eye on it without opening it up.

I have a fridge I use now, but still have this thing sitting in the corner.

Get your freezer yet? :D

Hoping to pick a 7 cu. on CL tomorrow for 75. That should fit 1 or 2 carboys shouldnt it?

Not too worried about any poo getting in it, Ive used this method quite a few times before, though never with the ranco; just got that :)

Back