Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Wagon

Reaction score
So this is my first batch of mead and its been and interesting ride. my original recipie was 15 lbs honey in 5 gallons, with as much yeast nutrient and acid blend as the bottles instructed me to add, as well as some irish moss (i think thats it) and i used a merlot yeast at the advice of my local homebrew store. My problem is that the fermentation keeps slowing to nearly a stop while hydrometer readings show the gravity is still rather high (1.060) (it also tastes very sweet). about a month ago i added some yeast energiser and warmed it up and it helped temporarily but it has slowed down again and further warming dosnt seem to help. Am i just being too impatient with my mead or should i consider repitching or something?

Repitching might not be a bad idea, try using lalvin k1-v1116 or EC-1118, rehydrated. They are a kickass yeast strain that can deal with the high levels of sugar. Also think about staggering the nutrient additions. Honey is notorious for having almost no nutrients for the yeast to work off of, so small additions of nutrient during the ferment process might help to keep the level constant.

mike

Latest posts

Back