alright guys/girls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokeCollegeStudent

Reaction score
Girlfriend is letting me brew my first batch in the apartment..... umm.. wondering if you could help me with a little recipe, if its even possible.

Raspberry stout
raspberry porter
raspberry amber.....

Which is better??
Any good recipes, please help.

First beer.

A raspberry porter could be really tasty. Use some dark crystal and chocolate malt, and you'd be in business. I assume you'd be doing an extract with steeping grains type recipe? Maybe:

7lb Amber LME
1lb Pale Malt
1lb Crystal 60L
1/2lb Chocolate Malt
1/4lb Special B

1oz Fuggles 45mins
1oz Willamette 10mins

That was just off the top of my head. Something in that general area could be good. If you were going to add raspberries, you'd definitely need to do at least a secondary. From my experience, doing fruit properly is difficult, and using extract flavors is much easier, so you might want to consider that. I'm sure others will have some good ideas/information.

For your first brew I would avoid the fruit beer. Just keep it simple to get the whole procedure down. That way if something goes wrong it's easier to figure out what that may be. Then you can add things like fruits, vanilla, etc as you get more comfortable.
Just my .02

Try this porter recipe first

6 lbs Extra Dark DME
1/2 lb Crystal 60 L
6 oz Chocolate
1 oz Chinook
1/2 oz Hallertauer
2 Whirflock tablets (might be a bit much but i noticed a difference)

This is the porter I made. The Extra Dark DME takes care of color and malt content, as does the crystal and chocolate. The Chinook and Hallertauer leave just enough Hopiness... I think i used Safale-56 on that one. It tasted great when i was bottling it.

The OG was 1.056 and ended at 1.010 for 5.91%, you can always increase the malt extract, maybe a little wheat.

Alternately, you could shell out 25-40$ and buy a kit--they'll make sure you have everything you need for a successful first brew. It's helpful to have clear and simple directions the first time you brew, so you can be totally clear on what you need to do.

Edit--if you're really set on doing a fruit beer, you can still get a kit for that, for the record. That'll make sure you don't accidentally use way too much or too little fruit or whatever. There are tons and tons of great kits out there, so you can pick more or less anything you want and make a great beer.

Whelk said:
Alternately, you could shell out 25-40$ and buy a kit--they'll make sure you have everything you need for a successful first brew. It's helpful to have clear and simple directions the first time you brew, so you can be totally clear on what you need to do.

I think that's the absolute best advice to give a beginner.

Torchiest said:
A raspberry porter could be really tasty. Use some dark crystal and chocolate malt, and you'd be in business. I assume you'd be doing an extract with steeping grains type recipe? Maybe:

7lb Amber LME
1lb Pale Malt
1lb Crystal 60L
1/2lb Chocolate Malt
1/4lb Special B

1oz Fuggles 45mins
1oz Willamette 10mins

That was just off the top of my head. Something in that general area could be good. If you were going to add raspberries, you'd definitely need to do at least a secondary. From my experience, doing fruit properly is difficult, and using extract flavors is much easier, so you might want to consider that. I'm sure others will have some good ideas/information.

Brew the Caramel Cream Ale #1 in my signature. It's very female friendly, and easy to brew.

Cheesefood said:
Brew the Caramel Cream Ale #1 in my signature. It's very female friendly, and easy to brew.

That's high on our list to brew.

We'll probably do Shimms' Kokopelli Porter first, then my Ex-Wife Wheat Ale, and then if all goes well the Caramel Cream Ale. :D

ill.literate said:
That's high on our list to brew.

We'll probably do Shimms' Kokopelli Porter first, then my Ex-Wife Wheat Ale, and then if all goes well the Caramel Cream Ale. :D

Just out of curiosity - why do you call it Ex-wife Wheat Ale?

Back