Commercial Lager Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
In your experience, which concentrate kit is closest to a commerical lager? I'm talking carlsberg/carling/stella artois/budweiser, etc. My friend has bet that I can't make a beer that tastes like one you drink in a pub. Time to prove him wrong.:D

Some might disagree but I think you will have a hard time proving him wrong with a kit.

Nevertheless, I don't have an answer for you. Good luck though ;)

You just listed like 4 completely different beer styles.

You can absolutely clone any commercial beer, including lagers. You just need the right recipe and good brewing processes.

I can't help you more than that because your question wasn't specific enough.

Lager is a type of brewing (actually its the storage and aging). But as others have posted you have listed 4 completely different kinds of beer. Lager ranges from Pilsner to doubblebock. It can be a light straw color, almost green (SRM 2.5) to black (SRM 4).

Recipes abound, we have many here. The main issue with lagers is well laggering. You need a place to control the temperature.

There is noting wrong with a kit. I have made some rather nice beers from a kit. Hell, I still make beers from extract (and cheat by using extract to boost SG). So do't disparage the kits.

Here is one, but I haven't ever brewed it:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_46_42_160&products_id=339

I did a Coors type beer for my very first homebrew. 1 oz hops, 8 oz rice solids and 3 lbs of extra light DME. Threw it all in a pot with some water for 30 min, then dumped into fermenter with tap water. Ferment for 2 weeks, bottle and enjoy.

A guy I used to work with mashed a budwiser clone all the time. I think his mash temp was 146. He used about 1/3 corn and rice, and fermented cold.

Good luck.

Aah. Right now I want to stay away from mashing etc, I'm not a big beer fan so I'd much rather buy an apple press than mashing equipment, just want to throw something together to see how it turns out. That's why I'm after a kit instead of ingredient lists :)

go for Carlsberg then. very standard pub beer over here...

I've got the basic equipment for beermaking and a brewer's belt too, which should help keep the temperate about right. The room I use sits at between 15-20*C at night.

Back