CO2 tank question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
I posted a classified ad looking for a CO2 tank and someone contacted me saying they have a 20 lb. tank for $25. I have no idea if this is a good deal?

I also don't know what to look for in a used tank to make sure it works and isn't damaged. This doesn't come with any kind of regulator. Suggestions?

Tanks don't come with regulators.

$25 is a great price if the tank is currently certified. Every five years they need to be pressure checked by a refill station and certified.

Even if it is not certified, you could probably exchange it at a place like "Air Gas".

Ask whether the inspection is current. I got one off CL, and while it was still a good deal, I was forced to send it away to Richmond to get its inspection renewed. Your local place might be able to do that, though.

Other than that, it's a great deal, assuming it works. The only way I know of to see if it works is to bring a regulator along and hook it up.

Yup, a got a free 20lb tank the other day, it was expired. I exchanged it , they charged me $24 for a hydro test fee, and 15 to fill. Its a bargain if you try to buy a new one.

So you can't use a tank without a regulator right? This is the most expensive part I presume??

You might also want to check that the tank they're selling you doesn't have a Pepsi or Coke stamp on it near the certification date. -- another thing to look out for is the "Desposit Tank" sticker. A lot of places won't let you exchange those.

Back